Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a few novice questions. I know a fair share about cars but clearly I am not all knowing. I have owned many cars in the past and it was always easy to find oil specs and everything for my cars. I am having some difficulty here.

What kind of oil should I be using? I usually but synthetic in my engines, my Ford Taurus oil change was usually 40 bucks no big deal. I recently took my Nissan Sentra SE-R to a Nissan Dealership and they wanted to charge me 79.99 for synthetic oil. wtf? I could change the oil myself (and at 79.99 I will start doing that) but I would rather just pay 40 and have it done to be honest. I did that with my ford and I ended up putting 183k miles on my Taurus before the body started to rust out (Still ran great)

Does my engine not take synthetic oil as OEM? What gives? I know dino oil is ok for about 1k miles if the engine needs synthetic so I am just checking

Also if I were to install a turbocharger on my car would I damage the engine? Would I need to tune it? Should I tune it? What would the cost be?

Any advice and suggestions are MUCH appreciated!

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,165 Posts
The recommended motor oil to use, as indicated in the FSM, is a 5W-30. You can use a fully synthetic oil with no problem. Mobil-1 fully synthetic is a very good oil. I've been using it for years in my Nissan's. Since synthetic doesn't break down readily as does dino, I change the synthetic oil every 12,000 mi and change the oil filter every 3,000 mi.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts