Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum, but not to forums, so please excuse my jumping right in. I searched the topic above, but didn't find anyone with my question. We have a 2008 Altima, and the poorly located, hyper-sensitive panic button on the fob keeps going off every time I sit down. I'm not even that fat, for crying out loud. Anyway, it came to a head last night as I nearly gave my 80-year-old aunt a heart attack by sitting in a chair on the other side of the house from where I was parked. I hate this thing -:mad:- didn't even want it, it comes with the car. Is there anyway to disable the panic button on my fob?:confused:

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
You'd have to remove the battery but that would render the rest of the key fob useless. You are in a no-win situation!

·
Registered
49 Posts
When we bought our 2008 Altima, we bought the keyfob covers that are available at the Nissan parts department. They are pretty thick so they may provide enough clearance to keep the panic button from being inadvertently pushed while it's in your pocket.
They were under $20 each.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree!!!!! But, the thing i hate worse than the panic button is the "push and hold the unlock button for the windows to go down" I wish there was a way to shut that off, the first time I did that was when a hard thunderstorm came, and , you guessed it, I found out the windows went down after 10 minutes of HEAVY rain. At the time, I only had the car for 2 days. I was hot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may try those. Set the *&%$ thing off twice today by bending at the waist. What a STUPID design.:lame: Nissan, are you listening!?!?!? :mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Somethings will just never satisfy everyone...unfortunately...:)
Options would be satisfying. I know the panic button is a gadget popular with with many in our paranoid society, but there should be a way to just bypass it. I once lived next door to a dealership where the service department used the panic button to find cars in their large lot to be serviced. Nice for them, absolutely maddening for the neighbors. The big problem with them is, people actually ignore them more than anything these days. They're so often set off accidentally that they've been rendered useless. Anybody want to agree/disagree with that?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agree:design flaw on panic alarm

So far I have had to scramble and try to locate my key in my pocket while the alarm blasted on numerous occasions including: returning to a campground at 1 am...; in the parking lot at a well attended funeral, and in a friend's driveway after they had just gotten the baby to sleep.
I asked my dealer if they could just have it so it needed to be pressed twice before it went off. No luck. I think this should have been very forseeable and the answer above "you can't please everyone "..is hogwash. This is a design flaw pure and simple and it is very very annoying for something designed to be convenient.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is sort of a related question. I bought my Altima used and it only came with one keyfob. Any idea how I can get another one for a good price? Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Your key fob is unique to your Altima. It is encoded (programed) to only open your Altima and no others. If you purchase a new key fob, it is not programed at all. It won't open anything.
Take the new key fob (along with the metal tabs that came with the original key fobs) to a Nissan dealer and they can program the new key fob for you. It takes just a few minutes and they usually don't charge anything to do it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have my fob on a ring with 10 other keys plus another key ring with 20 some keys in my left pocket all day every day. Never done this once.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK. Another sort of related question. Seems the battery on the fob is dying. Does anyone know how to open it without breaking it and if the fob will deprogram itself by simply changing the battery?

·
Nissan Technician
118 Posts
In re the programming issue from before, you will also need to get the metal key cut to your door locks, and then program it to the locks, in addition to the fob programming.

And no, replacing the battery will not require you to reprogram the fob. That info is stored in the BCM, not the key. Just take something thin and flat, shove it in the seam between the two sides of the fob, and rotate. It will pop open and you'll see the battery. It's a 2032 battery, IIRC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It might interest you to know that one local dealership wanted to charge me $100 to program the new key that I bought on eBay. The service guy asked with the bored look of a man who is accustomed to charging outrageous prices and when I said *no thanks* he had the smug look of a man that knows I'm gonna get the same answer at other dealerships.

·
Nissan Technician
118 Posts
That's because he (and I) know that it's not getting programmed outside of a dealership. If you want to get it fixed, he's the guy you've got to deal with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts