Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys! I just recently received a P0128 error code on my 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S and was wondering how many coolant thermostats are there? Nissan tells me, there is one but I have seen schematics showing there is two. I recently had my car serviced at a Nissan dealership and they have replaced one thermostat and re-filled coolant. However, a week and half later, the SES light came back and code P0128 was again detected.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
the thermostat is on the side of the engine, there is what they call a "water control valve" (which looks like a thermostat) on the back of the engine... if that helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Speedo. Would that need be replaced as well for a P0128 considering that it's for the water pump? I would imagine the primary would be the coolant thermostat.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,213 Posts
Would that need be replaced as well for a P0128 considering that it's for the water pump? I would imagine the primary would be the coolant thermostat.
There are two thermostats. The main one feeds the radiator. The second one is called a water control valve which feeds several accessories such as the heater and oil cooler; it's purpose is quicker warmup for the accessories. If it's stuck closed, it could possibly cause overheating.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Misdiagnoses? If P0128 was what the repair was intended to fix then return to dealer for a redo. ECT sensor maybe miscalibrated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@rogoman- Thank you. Had no driveability or overheating issues since the engine light and code came up. But that second sensor by water control valve maybe a culprit The only thing that was changed by me was the Coolant sensor @cj1 it was an aftermarket part. A mis-calibration is something for Nissan to check as well. Thank you both!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts