Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if Prestone antifreeze is ok to use in place of the GREEN Nissan antifreeze??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its what I have been using in my Nissan for the past 7 years.

I drained about 1.5 gallons out while replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses, electric cooling fan, and serpentine bet. The capacity is 2.8 gallons.

Is it ok if they are somewhat mixed?

·
Nissan Enthusiast
2,852 Posts
As long as you used pre-mixed Prestone and not the concentrate that you need to mix with distilled water, it's fine. It's compatible with all makes and models.

From Prestone's site
''Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles. For those consumers who would feel more comfortable using a phosphate-free antifreeze, our Prestone® LongLife® Premixed Antifreeze/Coolant and Prestone® Dex-Cool® Premixed LongLife® Antifreeze/ Coolant formula’s are phosphate, silicate, and borate free. These coolants use a special chemistry and technology that extends the life of the corrosion inhibitor package so that it lasts for five years or 240,000 kms (whichever comes first), and is safe for all cars and light trucks (old or new). Prestone® Dex-Cool® Premixed LongLife® Antifreeze/ Coolant has been approved by General Motors under their DEX-COOL® specifications and is compatible with other DEX-COOL® approved coolants. * DEX-COOL® is a registered trademark of General Motors Corporation.''

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my SO just found her owners manual. It says to only use the green type of antifreeze. So, green it is.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
2,852 Posts
Well you could always use
https://prestone.com/products?detail=AF6300

Their extended life coolant is also very good. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with using Prestone anti-freeze. Problems are usually related to using the wrong formulations, the wrong concentrations, and never replacing the stuff, to begin with. Prestone is yellow-green and mixes fine with green stuff, with blue or red the mix might look rather brownish.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well you could always use

https://prestone.com/products?detail=AF6300

Their extended life coolant is also very good. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with using Prestone anti-freeze. Problems are usually related to using the wrong formulations, the wrong concentrations, and never replacing the stuff, to begin with. Prestone is yellow-green and mixes fine with green stuff, with blue or red the mix might look rather brownish.

Thanks Quad!

I’ll look for that. I wonder if Walmart stocks it?

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,298 Posts
The Prestone yellow "one color fits all" coolant will work fine. The genuine Nissan green coolant is actually Pentosin Pentafrost A2 anti-freeze, which needs to be mixed 50/50 with distilled water. This is what I use; you can get it at many parts stores, like Autozone, or online from places like Rockauto.com or Ebay.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
2,852 Posts
Nope. Says so in the quote I posted from the Prestone site.
''Prestone® LongLife® Premixed Antifreeze/Coolant and Prestone® Dex-Cool® Premixed LongLife® Antifreeze/ Coolant formula’s are phosphate, silicate, and borate free.''

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wasn’t sure where to get the Prestone product you quoted. When I was scrolling back and forth I realized just how many different products they made. Since I decided to replace the original radiator with a new one, to try and avoid the infamous and disastrous Nissan SMOD complication, I decided to just go with the Nissan coolant since it was going into a new and improved Nissan radiator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
ultane
Nissan Forum
Nissan Forums is the go to place to talk about your favorite Nissan model, including the Rogue, Maxima, Altima and even sports cars like the 370Z and 200SX.
Full Forum Listing