Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am 500 miles into my last oil change and my oil is already below the "L" mark on the stick. It has gone on for about 2 oil changes. I have no oil in my driveway (one or 2 drops occasionally), my coolant is green, my transmission fluid is red, no blue smoke in exhaust. I am befuddled!!!

The only thing I can think of is that it is leaking while I am driving. I have looked under before and noticed a lot of oil around where the oil filter - I tightened the oil filter and thought this was the issue (it was a bit loosened). I am going to look under the car this weekend again and was wondering if anyone had any pointers??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

I am 500 miles into my last oil change and my oil is already below the "L" mark on the stick. It has gone on for about 2 oil changes. I have no oil in my driveway (one or 2 drops occasionally), my coolant is green, my transmission fluid is red, no blue smoke in exhaust. I am befuddled!!!

The only thing I can think of is that it is leaking while I am driving. I have looked under before and noticed a lot of oil around where the oil filter - I tightened the oil filter and thought this was the issue (it was a bit loosened). I am going to look under the car this weekend again and was wondering if anyone had any pointers??
Hi Jason, I had a 2004 Pathfinder....same thing....I would have to routinely add oil to a car with no leaks, no oil in tailpipe or coolant, etc. And it would happen SPORADICALLY! I'd go 500 miles without having to add oil then suddenly be adding a quart each week. I was "told by dealer" that this issue is common with Pathys...!!!! With no explanation as to where the missing oil goes. Luckily, I never had a problem with the engine and just kept an eye on the oil. I did googled it once and there was an explanation about it...but it was too far down in the weeds for me to spend much time on. Maybe just keep an eye on the oil level and continue to watch for leaks.. I'd love to see someone else's commentary that may know the answer. In layman's terms... :) I have driven Pathfinders for a decade or so and the good has always outweighed any negative issues. Best of luck to you!

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,251 Posts
If there is a physical leak, then you should be able to see it when the engine is idling. Places to look are the front crankshaft seal; the rear crankshaft seal by looking at the bottom of the bell housing; the valve covers gasket gasket area; oil filter/oil pressure sensor areas.

If there are no physical leaks, then the engine is most likely burning an excess amount of oil. A good way to test for oil burning is to first fully warm up the engine. Stand behind the car. Have someone rev the engine to 4,000 RPM and hold at that RPM for about 15 seconds. If you see a lot of blue smoke come out of the tailpipe, the engine is burning an excessive amount of oil. If it's black smoke, then it may be just leaking fuel injectors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts