Nissan Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Two hours labour is not too bad but $173 for the bearing is robbery.
The bushing would not cause the noise. A bearing makes a rumbling, roaring noise which usually increases with speed. If you turn hard left and right the noise gets louder when the bad bearing has more weight on it. If you turn left, the right side is weighted.
A used suspension arm is a bad idea. Not worth the savings. The new parts are cheap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
X-hale and DF Spencer. Thank you so much for all your help. I need your help some more. April 27, I emailed Wrench Monkey with the 2 pictures that I posted here. They wrote back asking me "Did the mechanic mention what type of bushings they are?". I wrote back I believe they are rubber and sent 2 pictures of the other side where the bushings are still good. They didn't reply so I called on Thursday their 1-888 number and left a message. Nothing. I emailed again today. In the meantime, I called the local Nissan dealership and spoke to a kind helpful man who gave me the numbers of the parts I need: 55120P A for the front and 55121+A for the rear. They are $122. each. The bolt part # is 55166 8H50A and it is $10.00. What I need help with: Are these the correct parts that X-hale gave me the links above for? I wanted confirmation from Wrench Monkey but they are no help. I am just so paranoid of ordering the wrong parts. Thanks.

what
It is really unfortunate that you are being put through so much crap to get something fairly simple replaced on your XTrail. The Nissan part numbers are correct and I probably am not surprised by the price. I cannot find out exactly where I bought the two parts you need because I have replaced so many parts on the vehicle that I cannot keep track of where I purchased every one of them. I know that I bought very few parts from Nissan and question the need to buy high-priced parts for vehicles as old as ours. As well, I would bet that official Nissan parts are probably mainly manufactured in China anyway. I have no idea what that question about the "type" of bushings in those two parts means. You can, for some vehicles, get suspension parts where the bushings are not the traditional rubber but a type of plastic (polyurethane I think) which are supposed to improve the handing of the vehicle they are installed on with a trade off as I recall of a rougher ride. But that is not relevant for the factory-installed parts on XTrails because all the bushings are rubber.
X-hale gave links to Wrench Monkey for the MOOG brand, and they are also available at Rock Auto as RK642052 for the left rear (that part is the same for both sides) and RK641727 for the left front. Those are the correct parts (the part numbers at Wrench Monkey agree with those). Rock Auto does also offer these same parts from several other well-known manufacturers so if you are a bit unimpressed by Wrench Monkey's poor customer service you could go to Rock Auto; Rock Auto has prices in our dollar but you probably will have to pay something for shipping and customs and brokerage but I'm sure they will still be much cheaper than the Nissan dealer part. Rock Auto for example has the Delphi parts TC3476 and TC3923, and the MevoTech CMS30178 and CMS30176.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Last summer the car was extremely loud. It turned out to be the bearing. Now it is very loud, maybe louder again so he thinks it's probably the other side bearing. I haven't taken it in as we are in lockdown. I draggeout my bill for the last bearing. It was $172.88 for the part and $200 (2 hrs) for labour. Extra parts $10. and taxes for a total $429. Question: Do you think the missing bushing would be causing the loudness instead of the bearing? I don't want to be taken advantage of by replacing the bearing when it's really the bushing. Another question: Is it a bad idea to get used suspension arm? After this Covid lockdown is over, I think I'd better start looking for another vehicle.
The sound/noise/rumbling you are describing is almost certainly a wheel bearing. The XTrail wheel bearings have two rings of 3/8 inch (1 cm) steel balls and when even one gets a little chunk missing or a chunk fused to it they get pretty noisy. You will notice that, when driving at fairly low speed (and radio, and fan off), if you make a sharp turn and hear that noise then you know it is a bearing and which side.You said you had the driver's left bearing already replaced so now when you make a test turn to the left you should hear the noise (take note whether it sounds like it's from the front or rear) and then compare making a turn to the right where there may still be some noise but much less. In fact you can probably diagnose it by jacking up one wheel at a time and hand spinning the wheel and listening; a mechanic's stethoscope is really handy in these situations.
A blown bushing in the rear suspension of XTrails (which has a very simple multi-link suspension) would probably be noticed say as an odd noise/clunk if you go over a bump or if you turn the steering wheel from left to right or vice versa. The fact is that if a rear bushing in one of the links is totally blown out it may in some situations make the vehicle handle poorly but you shouldn't have a catastrophic failure because there is still a bolt, and the inner sleeve of the bushing, holding things more or less together. I personally would not even bother with risking buying used suspension parts, and in fact much of the replacement (unless you do the work yourself) is the labour anyway. The price you paid for that first wheel bearing I think is outrageous. You could buy four (or more) perfectly acceptable XTrail wheel bearings for that price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The sound/noise/rumbling you are describing is almost certainly a wheel bearing. The XTrail wheel bearings have two rings of 3/8 inch (1 cm) steel balls and when even one gets a little chunk missing or a chunk fused to it they get pretty noisy. You will notice that, when driving at fairly low speed (and radio, and fan off), if you make a sharp turn and hear that noise then you know it is a bearing and which side.You said you had the driver's left bearing already replaced so now when you make a test turn to the left you should hear the noise (take note whether it sounds like it's from the front or rear) and then compare making a turn to the right where there may still be some noise but much less. In fact you can probably diagnose it by jacking up one wheel at a time and hand spinning the wheel and listening; a mechanic's stethoscope is really handy in these situations.
A blown bushing in the rear suspension of XTrails (which has a very simple multi-link suspension) would probably be noticed say as an odd noise/clunk if you go over a bump or if you turn the steering wheel from left to right or vice versa. The fact is that if a rear bushing in one of the links is totally blown out it may in some situations make the vehicle handle poorly but you shouldn't have a catastrophic failure because there is still a bolt, and the inner sleeve of the bushing, holding things more or less together. I personally would not even bother with risking buying used suspension parts, and in fact much of the replacement (unless you do the work yourself) is the labour anyway. The price you paid for that first wheel bearing I think is outrageous. You could buy four (or more) perfectly acceptable XTrail wheel bearings for that price.
I don't know what I would have done without you guys help and advice. My Dad used to be my auto knowledge guy but he has passed long ago. I didn't mention this because it really doesn't affect things but I am disabled. Being that and an older woman, I seem to be at the mechanics in this world mercy. The mechanic told me he couldn't find the bushings but he didn't try for the actual main parts and told me to see if I had any luck online. I think I will just go with the Wrench Monkey as the Rock Auto website was kinda confusing for me. Plus if there are duties thru Canada Post I may have to go to the Post Office. With lockdown and being Covid-vulnerable I'm hoping the Wrench Monkey stuff will just get delivered to the door. I will have to also get the bearing done as it is really loud and I am getting nervous to drive it. Thank you so much. It is very thoughtful for you to take your time to help me out. I will keep you updated. Judi

·
Registered
400 Posts
Wrench Monkey has Timken front bearing 510060 for $52.73 and rear WB000002 for $78.49 assuming you have AWD.
I highly recommend Timken bearings. I always use them and have never had one fail yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wrench Monkey has Timken front bearing 510060 for $52.73 and rear WB000002 for $78.49 assuming you have AWD.
I highly recommend Timken bearings. I always use them and have never had one fail yet.
I have another question, sorry: I went on the Wrench Monkey Facebook page and it is full of unhappy customers. Wrong parts sent, no help with refunds, emails blocked. I found another Canadian part company: Parts Avatar in Brampton and Edmonton. Their Facebook page has some complaints but nowhere near Wrench Monkey. They have the parts: Mevotech CMS30178 and CMS30176, $63.83 and $52.67. Have you guys had any dealings with Partsavatar and Mevotech parts? Another thing: I looked up the bearing on Wrench Monkey too and it said something about "requires 2". Not sure what that means. By the way it's a Xtrail Se AWD.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Requires 2 means left and right. Mevotech makes low quality throw away parts I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Wrench Monkey has been excellent to me most times but are impossible to reach for customer service. I always use Rock Auto now. They are excellent to deal with. There price with shipping includes all taxes, duties etc. with no hidden surprises. You can see all prices in Canadian dollars. I ordered parking brake shoes and a hardware kit on Sunday and they will be here in the wilds of Quebec on Thursday.
P.S. If you're interested, I have a 5% discount code for Rock Auto.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Requires 2 means left and right. Mevotech makes low quality throw away parts I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Wrench Monkey has been excellent to me most times but are impossible to reach for customer service. I always use Rock Auto now. They are excellent to deal with. There price with shipping includes all taxes, duties etc. with no hidden surprises. You can see all prices in Canadian dollars. I ordered parking brake shoes and a hardware kit on Sunday and they will be here in the wilds of Quebec on Thursday.
P.S. If you're interested, I have a 5% discount code for Rock Auto.
You convinced me. I am going to give Rock Auto a try. I have to recheck as the MOOG part641727 was there yesterday but can't find now. I will check more tomorrow. Too tired. I will take your code, thank you. Also, how do you usually pay. There are a few options.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Code: 168556572147729181 You enter the code on the check out page where it says "how did you hear about us". I usually use PayPal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You convinced me. I am going to give Rock Auto a try. I have to recheck as the MOOG part641727 was there yesterday but can't find now. I will check more tomorrow. Too tired. I will take your code, thank you. Also, how do you usually pay. There are a few options.
Things just aren't working out. Rock Auto has the MOOG RK642052 (rear lower rearward) but o/s of the matching MOOG RK641727 (rear left forward). It was there yesterday. I see they have a Delphi TC3476 but it says "non adjustable type". Other than that, the other option is Mevotech. Should I wait or go with Delphi?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I noticed it went missing. Delphi should be fine. None of them are adjustable. I don't know why they give different confusing information.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am aware that in some markets the T-30 XTrail was available as FWD (front wheel drive) but I don't think any Canadian XTrails were anything other than AWD/4WD. Regardless, the photos the OP has posted here show a rear drive shaft so hers is definitely AWD.

·
Registered
400 Posts
There are many FWD X-Trails in Canada. I see them for sale all the time. In a previous post she mentioned hers is an AWD SE.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
There are many FWD X-Trails in Canada. I see them for sale all the time. In a previous post she mentioned hers is an AWD SE.
I ordered from Rock Auto today. I was just too peeved at Wrench Monkey for not getting back to me after 3 emails and 2 phone calls. Bad customer service can't be rewarded. I ordered the MOOG RK642052 (rear lower rearward) and the Delphi TC3476 (rear left lower forward). And I used X-hale's code. The only extra was 2 shipping costs (26.97) because 2 separate manufacturers. Now I have to order the bolt 8H50A from Nissan. I feel a weight off my shoulders finally making a decision. Can't wait to get everything done.
Thanks again for all your expertise and help and most of all, patience with all my questions. I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Rock Auto has 3 different warehouses. They charge a little extra if all the items aren't located in the same one. Sometimes similar parts from the same manufacturer will be located in different warehouses.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts