Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic has been looking for this part for over a month. Can't find. He only uses new parts. Does anyone know where to find. I am in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. Searched this forum but no luck. Also, is it okay to drive with a cracked bushing? My mechanic says it's not a safety issue but I do feel some pull in the steering. I am an older woman so please give me info I can understand. My mechanic told me to do some searching myself online so I thought I'd start with your help. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I see that you have had no responses and I would think by now your issue has been resolved. But I have to be honest, if you are speaking of a 2006 Nissan XTrail what you describe makes no sense. The first generation XTrails (referred to as T30) were only marketed in Canada for the 2005 and 2006 model years. They have (what for Nissans) is a fairly unusual rear suspension, a multi-link type, and it does not have a true 'control arm' in the normal sense; I really can't even guess what "hub belt" refers to. The rear suspension of the 2006 XTrails has 3 components that have bushings at one or both ends. On each side is a radius rod (that is Nissan's description, you may find parts suppliers refer to them as 'trailing arms'), that runs from the body to the lower hub/axle assembly, and two parallel links (Nissan's descriptor), one forward link (so obviously the front and that can be found on parts suppliers as 'control arms') and a rear parallel link (to the rear, and also often sold by aftermarket suppliers as a 'control arm'). They both connect to the bottom of the hub/axle assembly and are anchored to brackets near the middle of the vehicle on what is called the subframe. When I rebuilt a 2006 XTrail that I bought in June of 2019 I had to replace both of the front parallel links because their bushings were bad, and in one case the bushing was totally blown out. Although driving the vehicle with bad bushings in the rear suspension would not likely cause major problems you might find the handling of the vehicle a little "off" in some situations and you should replace any element with bad bushings. I assume Manitoba doesn't have mandatory vehicle inspection but Nova Scotia (where I live) does and I am sure bad bushings in any suspension element, front or rear, will fail inspection. I had no trouble getting replacement front parallel links and The Wrench Monkey (and probably other suppliers) does have all of the parts you need (or by now needed, I guess).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see that you have had no responses and I would think by now your issue has been resolved. But I have to be honest, if you are speaking of a 2006 Nissan XTrail what you describe makes no sense. The first generation XTrails (referred to as T30) were only marketed in Canada for the 2005 and 2006 model years. They have (what for Nissans) is a fairly unusual rear suspension, a multi-link type, and it does not have a true 'control arm' in the normal sense; I really can't even guess what "hub belt" refers to. The rear suspension of the 2006 XTrails has 3 components that have bushings at one or both ends. On each side is a radius rod (that is Nissan's description, you may find parts suppliers refer to them as 'trailing arms'), that runs from the body to the lower hub/axle assembly, and two parallel links (Nissan's descriptor), one forward link (so obviously the front and that can be found on parts suppliers as 'control arms') and a rear parallel link (to the rear, and also often sold by aftermarket suppliers as a 'control arm'). They both connect to the bottom of the hub/axle assembly and are anchored to brackets near the middle of the vehicle on what is called the subframe. When I rebuilt a 2006 XTrail that I bought in June of 2019 I had to replace both of the front parallel links because their bushings were bad, and in one case the bushing was totally blown out. Although driving the vehicle with bad bushings in the rear suspension would not likely cause major problems you might find the handling of the vehicle a little "off" in some situations and you should replace any element with bad bushings. I assume Manitoba doesn't have mandatory vehicle inspection but Nova Scotia (where I live) does and I am sure bad bushings in any suspension element, front or rear, will fail inspection. I had no trouble getting replacement front parallel links and The Wrench Monkey (and probably other suppliers) does have all of the parts you need (or by now needed, I guess).
I can only tell you what the repair guy told me that I am missing a bushing on my rear axle trailing arm. He said he would orer the part or parts but he can't find them (that's what he said).If you had a drawing or a picture, it would help me. I am a woman who depends on repair guys to fix things.

·
Registered
400 Posts
A lot of X-Trail parts are dealer only. Sometimes if it's a bushing that is needed you have to replace an entire component including the bushing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can only tell you what the repair guy told me that I am missing a bushing on my rear axle trailing arm. He said he would orer the part or parts but he can't find them (that's what he said).If you had a drawing or a picture, it would help me. I am a woman who depends on repair guys to fix things.
I recognize that you are depending on this "repair guy" and you have to trust his recommendations.
That trailing arm (that Nissan calls a "radius rod") has a bushing but like the other bushings in the four parallel links of that XTrail the bushing cannot be replaced as far as I am aware. That part is available at:
under
"Suspension Trailing Arm - Rear "
They offer two options:
The MOOG part, MOOG RK642214, which Wrench Monkey sells it for $70.01 (plus some shipping, I don't know how much).
They also sell a Dorman part, DORMAN 522115, which they have on sale now for $59.78 , which I would say is a good deal. That is probably less than standard labour costs to remove the old one and to install the new one (the nuts on the bolts are probably seized and the bolt are probably also seized in the inner sleeve of the bushing). It may be necessary to replace the two existing bolts depending on their condition.

NAPA Canada does list what they seem to claim (maybe) is that trailing arm:
Control Arm - Lower - Rear Suspension
Part #: NCT 2607352, $77.49
but I am not completely confident that is the correct part and I would take the old part to match it if you decide to go to the nearest NAPA (they probably will have to order it).

I will send along the schematic of the '06 T30 XTrail rear suspension:

The part labelled '16' is the part you say you need to repair or replace (in fact you can only replace it).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rock Auto also lists three of those trailing arms (radius rods) for the 2006 XTrail:
the same MOOG RK642214 as I mention in my previous note (for $43.01 CAD),
a MEVOTECH CMS30179 for $43.27 CAD
and a DELPHI TC3806 for $27.74 CAD.
Although the prices are in Canadian dollars the parts are shipped from the US so the shipping costs (and possible import duties) may make these three less appealing.
You could also go to the nearest Parts Source where you live with the brand and part numbers I have listed and see whether they possibly can get one or more of them. I see there are five Parts Source locations within the Winnipeg area. Parts Source is actually owned by Canadian Tire but PS are the better supplier for professionals and more serious backyard mechanics to find vehicle parts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm back again. I've been looking around eBay (Canada) to see whether there are such things as replacement bushings for the XTrail T30 trailing arm (radius rod) and it turns out there may be:

The description is a bit confusing to me but it looks like it may be the correct part although I would want to communicate with the seller to confirm that. It is actually from a seller in BC so no import duties and the asking price is $44.17 and free shipping (the listing says the seller will entertain offers). To use it, clearly the existing trailing arm would have to be removed, the old bushing removed and the bushing area cleaned up. So, as is usual in car repairs today, how much is the labour cost to actually replace the bad bushing, added to the cost of the part, compared to what is the best price of an entire replacement trailing arm. I am fairly confident that for your needs a new trailing arm is the most cost effective solution but you can review all the possibilities and make that decision, presumably in consultation with the person doing the work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm back again. I've been looking around eBay (Canada) to see whether there are such things as replacement bushings for the XTrail T30 trailing arm (radius rod) and it turns out there may be:

The description is a bit confusing to me but it looks like it may be the correct part although I would want to communicate with the seller to confirm that. It is actually from a seller in BC so no import duties and the asking price is $44.17 and free shipping (the listing says the seller will entertain offers). To use it, clearly the existing trailing arm would have to be removed, the old bushing removed and the bushing area cleaned up. So, as is usual in car repairs today, how much is the labour cost to actually replace the bad bushing, added to the cost of the part, compared to what is the best price of an entire replacement trailing arm. I am fairly confident that for your needs a new trailing arm is the most cost effective solution but you can review all the possibilities and make that decision, presumably in consultation with the person doing the work.
I finally got the repair shop to circle the parts I need. I am in Winnipeg. If you can recommend anywhere to order these parts from, I would appreciate it. The bushing is completely gone on one side. He tried to get the part through Piston Ring but nothing. Here is the photo with parts needed circled. This schemtic came from a Google Nissan xtrail search.
Nissan Xtrail.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got the repair shop to circle the parts I need. I am in Winnipeg. If you can recommend anywhere to order these parts from, I would appreciate it. The bushing is completely gone on one side. He tried to get the part through Piston Ring but nothing. Here is the photo with parts needed circled. This schemtic came from a Google Nissan xtrail search. View attachment 7307
Forgot to say, it's on the drivers side. When A part says RH or LH, which one is referring to drivers side?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Forgot to say, it's on the drivers side. When A part says RH or LH, which one is referring to drivers side?
Those two parts are referred to (at least by Nissan) as 'parallel links'. The one towards the front of the vehicle is the 'front parallel link' and the one toward the back is the 'rear parallel link'. I had to replace both of the front parallel links on my XTrail (as I was essentially restoring the vehicle after buying it at a dealer's wholesale lot) because the bushings were bad and one was totally blown out. I would be surprised if you have a problem with only one side to be honest. The rear parallel links are the same left (driver's side) and right but the front parallel links are mirror images because of the position of the brackets that the ABS cables clip to.
WrenchMonkey has them both but they call them "Suspension Control Arms" (Forward and Rearward). RockAuto has them listed in the section "Control Arm" and there are several brands listed, some calling them "lateral arms". RockAuto's prices are better but I think you may (?) have to pay customs and duty because they ship from the States. Amazon Canada may have the correct ones if you're willing to sort through all the hits. NAPA Canada doesn't seem to carry them although they list replacement bushings but I don't know if they're even correct but I would not go that route regardless. It is possible that PartsSource (owned by Canadian Tire but a better place for serious parts searching) may have them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those two parts are referred to (at least by Nissan) as 'parallel links'. The one towards the front of the vehicle is the 'front parallel link' and the one toward the back is the 'rear parallel link'. I had to replace both of the front parallel links on my XTrail (as I was essentially restoring the vehicle after buying it at a dealer's wholesale lot) because the bushings were bad and one was totally blown out. I would be surprised if you have a problem with only one side to be honest. The rear parallel links are the same left (driver's side) and right but the front parallel links are mirror images because of the position of the brackets that the ABS cables clip to.
WrenchMonkey has them both but they call them "Suspension Control Arms" (Forward and Rearward). RockAuto has them listed in the section "Control Arm" and there are several brands listed, some calling them "lateral arms". RockAuto's prices are better but I think you may (?) have to pay customs and duty because they ship from the States. Amazon Canada may have the correct ones if you're willing to sort through all the hits. NAPA Canada doesn't seem to carry them although they list replacement bushings but I don't know if they're even correct but I would not go that route regardless. It is possible that PartsSource (owned by Canadian Tire but a better place for serious parts searching) may have them.
Thanks for such a quick reply. The repaiman said it was only the drivers side. I was thinking of emailing the picture to Wrench Monkey and asking them to help me. Being a woman with no car knowledge, I have to hope I don't get taken advantage of. I'd rather deal with a cdn company. I don't really care what the cost is (though I won't tell the repair man that), I just want it fixed.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The Wrench Monkey has them. rear left lower forward $69.08 rear lower rearward $44.39
Same parts are $44.96 and $27.37 at Rock Auto.
These are Moog, a very good make. I'm 99% sure these are the correct parts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Wrench Monkey has them. rear left lower forward $69.08 rear lower rearward $44.39
Same parts are $44.96 and $27.37 at Rock Auto.
These are Moog, a very good make. I'm 99% sure these are the correct parts.
I am not sure if the mechanic circled the right thing. I got someone to go under the car and take 2 pictures. It is the bushings inside the part I circled, both ends. This is rear drivers side

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am not sure if the mechanic circled the right thing. I got someone to go under the car and take 2 pictures. It is the bushings inside the part I circled, both ends. This is rear drivers side View attachment 7352 . View attachment 7351
Those are indeed what has been discussed, what Nissan calls the "rear parallel link" (left in the photo) and the "front parallel link" (right in the photo). Those are on the driver's side (the left side of Canadian XTrails). As discussed in this thread vendors may call them "lateral links" or even "control arms". You are in Winnipeg as I recall and I must say that the amount of rust on that rear end surprises me, it looks at least as bad as we expect to see here in Nova Scotia (and so on my '06 XTrail) where vehicle corrosion is notoriously bad. On my Xtrail both of the front parallel link bushings were really bad (at both ends) and needed replacement but the bushings in the rear links were fine. One unknown in dealing with vehicles with serious corrosion is whether you can actually disassemble the necessary nuts/bolts or whether they have to cut off and replaced with new ones. I had to do that with essentially every bolt in the rear end of my XTrail when I essentially overhauled it. So that long bolt that you can see that the outer ends of the two links fasten to may have to be cut off if that nut that you can see is too badly seized. That bolt is I think only available from Nissan but surprisingly my local dealer stocks it (clearly it must be used on Nissan models other than the XTrail) and it wasn't even ridiculously expensive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those are indeed what has been discussed, what Nissan calls the "rear parallel link" (left in the photo) and the "front parallel link" (right in the photo). Those are on the driver's side (the left side of Canadian XTrails). As discussed in this thread vendors may call them "lateral links" or even "control arms". You are in Winnipeg as I recall and I must say that the amount of rust on that rear end surprises me, it looks at least as bad as we expect to see here in Nova Scotia (and so on my '06 XTrail) where vehicle corrosion is notoriously bad. On my Xtrail both of the front parallel link bushings were really bad (at both ends) and needed replacement but the bushings in the rear links were fine. One unknown in dealing with vehicles with serious corrosion is whether you can actually disassemble the necessary nuts/bolts or whether they have to cut off and replaced with new ones. I had to do that with essentially every bolt in the rear end of my XTrail when I essentially overhauled it. So that long bolt that you can see that the outer ends of the two links fasten to may have to be cut off if that nut that you can see is too badly seized. That bolt is I think only available from Nissan but surprisingly my local dealer stocks it (clearly it must be used on Nissan models other than the XTrail) and it wasn't even ridiculously expensive.
X-hale and DF Spencer. Thank you so much for all your help. I need your help some more. April 27, I emailed Wrench Monkey with the 2 pictures that I posted here. They wrote back asking me "Did the mechanic mention what type of bushings they are?". I wrote back I believe they are rubber and sent 2 pictures of the other side where the bushings are still good. They didn't reply so I called on Thursday their 1-888 number and left a message. Nothing. I emailed again today. In the meantime, I called the local Nissan dealership and spoke to a kind helpful man who gave me the numbers of the parts I need: 55120P A for the front and 55121+A for the rear. They are $122. each. The bolt part # is 55166 8H50A and it is $10.00. What I need help with: Are these the correct parts that X-hale gave me the links above for? I wanted confirmation from Wrench Monkey but they are no help. I am just so paranoid of ordering the wrong parts. Thanks.

what

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm as sure as I can be. If you're worried get the Nissan parts, they're only double the price for the pair. The bolt you will have to get from the dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm as sure as I can be. If you're worried get the Nissan parts, they're only double the price for the pair. The bolt you will have to get from the dealer.
Question: When you say "get the Nissan parts" and then get bolt from dealer, it sounds like I can get Nissan parts from somewhere other than the dealer. Any suggestions?
PS: I just found out today I need to replace a rear wheel bearing on the passenger side. Had the drivers done less than a year ago and that was a $500. hit.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've replaced 3 out of 4 wheel bearings over 3 years, it's a common X-Trail issue. I paid about $50 each for the bearings and $150 ea installation. I have an excellent mechanic that doesn't mind improvising to get the job done quickly and cheaply.
Nissan parts are dealer only. You misunderstood me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Question: When you say "get the Nissan parts" and then get bolt from dealer, it sounds like I can get Nissan parts from somewhere other than the dealer. Any suggestions?
PS: I just found out today I need to replace a rear wheel bearing on the passenger side. Had the drivers done less than a year ago and that was a $500. hit.
I have replaced all of my XTrail's wheel bearings in what has become a 'restoration' of the vehicle I bought nearly two years ago at a dealer's wholesale lot.
I am gobsmacked that someone charged you $500 to replace the driver-side bearing. Now it is possible that they found out, as I did when I disassembled my front end, that a ball joint was in terrible shape and that can only be replaced by replacing the whole control arm. It is certainly true that you really cannot replace those XTrail ball bearings without a serious floor press; mine is a 20 ton and many shops probably have a 30 ton. Those XTrail ball bearings are large and the outer race is about 1 3/4 inches (about 4.5 cm) deep and it gets stuck in the axle housing pretty tightly. As well, getting the inner race off the axle flange is a challenge. The thing is, you paid professionals to do the work and they presumably have experience at doing the work. I have never replaced bearings like the XTrail's and in fact the last wheel bearings I replaced were in several F150s that I owned over the years and they had roller bearings. I bought the two front wheel bearings through Amazon and paid about $34 Canadian. My XTrail is a 2006 with 226,000 plus km. How long do you think I need the parts that I am replacing to last, so why would I pay for premium (such as Nissan official) parts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have replaced all of my XTrail's wheel bearings in what has become a 'restoration' of the vehicle I bought nearly two years ago at a dealer's wholesale lot.
I am gobsmacked that someone charged you $500 to replace the driver-side bearing. Now it is possible that they found out, as I did when I disassembled my front end, that a ball joint was in terrible shape and that can only be replaced by replacing the whole control arm. It is certainly true that you really cannot replace those XTrail ball bearings without a serious floor press; mine is a 20 ton and many shops probably have a 30 ton. Those XTrail ball bearings are large and the outer race is about 1 3/4 inches (about 4.5 cm) deep and it gets stuck in the axle housing pretty tightly. As well, getting the inner race off the axle flange is a challenge. The thing is, you paid professionals to do the work and they presumably have experience at doing the work. I have never replaced bearings like the XTrail's and in fact the last wheel bearings I replaced were in several F150s that I owned over the years and they had roller bearings. I bought the two front wheel bearings through Amazon and paid about $34 Canadian. My XTrail is a 2006 with 226,000 plus km. How long do you think I need the parts that I am replacing to last, so why would I pay for premium (such as Nissan official) parts?
Last summer the car was extremely loud. It turned out to be the bearing. Now it is very loud, maybe louder again so he thinks it's probably the other side bearing. I haven't taken it in as we are in lockdown. I draggeout my bill for the last bearing. It was $172.88 for the part and $200 (2 hrs) for labour. Extra parts $10. and taxes for a total $429. Question: Do you think the missing bushing would be causing the loudness instead of the bearing? I don't want to be taken advantage of by replacing the bearing when it's really the bushing. Another question: Is it a bad idea to get used suspension arm? After this Covid lockdown is over, I think I'd better start looking for another vehicle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts