Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - I have a 2005 2WD SE Pathfinder whose transmission is acting up. It only does it when I am towing a small trailer with two dirt bikes on it so not really towing anything major. It will start to slip and then just pretty much come to a stop and I can smell the trans oil burning.

Now the interesting part - I can let it set a few hours and it will drive like nothing has happened till I attempt to tow bikes somewhere agian. It also usually takes a long tow of over 1.5 hours for it to act up.

Any suggestions (other than not tow anything lol)?

Thanks

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,874 Posts
It looks like when you're towing the ATF gets overheated; a good way for the tranny to destroy itself. You probably need to install an extra ATF cooler. Here's some:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like when you're towing the ATF gets overheated; a good way for the tranny to destroy itself. You probably need to install an extra ATF cooler. Here's some:
Thanks I will check it out. Is there a higher heat more durable fluid as an option as well?

Thanks

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,874 Posts
Thanks I will check it out. Is there a higher heat more durable fluid as an option as well?

Thanks
The cooler operating temperatures offered by synthetic ATFs can make a difference to component longevity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts