Nissan Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting in these forums so I hope I am in the right place. I tried searching for my problem to see if anyone else had the same issue and I found some somewhat similar issues but nothing exactly like mine. So here goes!

I was doing some highway driving last week and while attempting to shift into 5th gear at around 50mph or so my 'Service Engine Soon' light came on and I immediately started losing power. I shifted down into 4th and then tried going into 5th again and all of the lights on my dash came on (Limp mode I am guessing) and my car just wasn't having it so I pulled off to the side of the road and shut it off. My first thought was a belt, but those were fine. I fired my car up again hoping to manually check the Service Engine light code only to find that the light was off so I couldn't check it. I drove back home immediately staying at or below 40mph as the problem occurred in higher gears and mph. I did a search online for my problem and just about every link pointed to the Electronic Throttle Body either needing to be cleaned or having failed and needing replaced. Well, my car is a 2004 and has about 150,000 miles on it, and after removing the ETB I could see that it was pretty dirty, but still decided to just buy a new one based on the car's age and mileage. Plus, I had read that some people attempting to clean their ETB had actually ended up frying them by mistake because the cleaner got into the area with all the electronics. So I played it safe and bought and installed a new one. I also read that there were three separate relearns I needed to do after installation: Accelerator Pedal Release Position relearn, Throttle Valve Closed Position relearn, and Idle Air Volume learn. I did all three of these successfully.

Now here's my problem/issue. When I start my vehicle cold, the RPMs initially go up to between 2,000-2,500 for about 1-2 seconds and then drop back down to normal and that never happened before when my older ETB was installed. Everything else is normal. The car idles below 1,000 after it is warm and between 1,000 and 1,500 while warming up. It also drives at normal RPM for each gear. So why is my Sentra now having such high RPM for those couple of seconds on a cold start? I actually read from more than a few people online that this is normal, but if that's the case, why didn't my car ever do this before? And there were also a few people who said this isn't normal. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I don't know who or what to believe at this point. Thank you in advance!

*I would also like to point out that replacing the ETB did solve my initial problem of losing power at high speeds/gears as I tested it out by going upwards of 70+ on the highway with no issues whatsoever.*

1 - 1 of 1 Posts