Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wtf:i have a 2004 nissan frontier with 145,000 miles i always change my oil every 3000 mile 2 weeks ago i change my oil and it was black i thought it was odd but changeed it anyway. 2 weeks later i went to check oil level my oil was black again my truck has no oil leaks what so ever and i also notice that my exhaust started to sound with a deeper tone. also notice a weird smell when i start truck first thing in the mourning. i always use pennzol 10w - 30 please help :fluffy:

·
Registered
98 Posts
i would be concerned if my oil wasnt black. it is supposed to clean as it lubricates. i would not worry. what is the smell like?

·
Registered
515 Posts
If I understand you correctly, the oil turned black in a two week period. How many miles of driving and under what conditions? Was the oil level down when you checked it? I cannot think of any connection between the oil and the tone of the exhaust. My suggestions:

1) Check your coolant. Any unusual color or oil contamination?

2) Pull the plugs. Are the plugs evenly colored?

3) Do a compression or leak down test.

4) Have you ever replaced the PCV valve? It's a long shot but a defective valve can affect the blowby to the crankcase. It is a pain in the butt to access on the 2.4 engine (behind the alternator).

5) Submit an oil sample for analysis. Check the phone book in your area for companies that do oil analysis or check at the local auto parts store for mail in kits.

The only connections that come to mind between the oil and exhaust are typically through a bad head gasket or severe blowby past the rings. A compression/leak down test should indicate if there is a problem. If coolant is contaminating the oil then a head gasket is also suspect.

Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2004 frontier 2.4

:givebeer:thank you so much guys for your response i will let u know how it turned out:fluffy:

·
Registered
515 Posts
If you are doing short trips that do not allow the engine to warm up completely then I could see the possibility for unusually fast oil contamination (within 600 miles).

Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok but i work 25 miles each way to work plus i always let my engine warm up thank for your reply i will let u know on you advice thanks for takeing your time to read my post you are the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2004 frontier 2.4

:balls:that was a ballbuster,who in the hell was the engineer that decided to put pcv valve so close to the oil filter behind the alternator that person should be shot, anyway how would u know if pcv vavle working i replaced it but just want to know thanks guys oh! by the way steve thank for your advise check antifreeze its clean. spark plug look old replace them too,one thing i did not do is a leak down test.what is that?:balls:

·
Registered
515 Posts
A leak down test pressurizes the cylinder with air through a restrictor orifice. If the cylinder were perfectly sealed measured pressures on both sides of the orifice would be equal. The greater the cylinder leakage the greater the pressure differential across the orifice. A leakdown test is independent of engine RPM thus a weak battery or starter may affect compression test results. Also, if the cylinder is leaking excessively, listening/inspecting to the engine systems (e.g. exhaust, intake) may indicate the cylinder leak location.

The classic PCV valve test is to verify that the internal "piston" rattles. Given the difficulties of the 2.4 liter valve replacement I'd just install a new one.

Were the spark plugs all the same color/wear?

Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
2004 frontier 2.4

ok 3 days i change my oil again n change the o2 sensers engine light came on light still has not come off maybe the coverter bad ????? now im pissed off just check the oil and it dark again but now it has a litte of a green tint its not my antifreeze its full spark plug cylinder #3 looked a little different i will try to get some pics for you, my dream truck is becoming a nightmare what i dont get is the engine it sound so normal no knocks no bangs wtf,wtf:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf: do i have to take my truck some where to get a down leak test, thank for reading.im also going to send a oil sample by mail.

·
Registered
515 Posts
1) If the check engine light is on, what are the codes?

2) Why did you change the O2 sensors? I would not touch the converter until I understood what codes are being shown. Tthe codes are an indication that an engine parameter is out of tolerance but they can mislead you. A converter fault code can be caused by an O2 sensor because of the way the OBDII analyzes the engine systems.

3) You need to do the compression check (or leak down test) to verify that the head gasket is not leaking.

Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it said an 02 sensor auto zone did a diagnose on truck i will get more info for you right now got to go to work plus it to cold out side

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is the truck using more gas than normal? Your symptoms sound like a possible leaking fuel injector. The fuel is leaking down into the oil pan when the truck sits. It does not take much fuel to turn oil dark.

·
Registered
10 Posts
really black oil not a worry, i change mine and can check it one trip to 7-11 and its black. you said your oil had a green tint but its not your anti freeze. it probably is anti-freeze, there is only the gasket there and it only takes a little bit to "tint" the oil and it could very well be just such a small place that is letting it get in without letting back oil into the block. and if one of your pugs was diffrent then the rest, just look at close you might be able to see. maybe wet or moist. if its black and wet that would be the rings, hard to say, but if it runs good and doesnt burn oil/ a/f, i wouldn't worry, just keep eye on it. i also agree with the last post about the fuel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts