Nissan Forum banner

2003 spec v dyno

11K views 59 replies 21 participants last post by  dwill9578 
#1 ·
yo, i am seriously considering buying a spec v, now i can go to the dealership and get a 2002 spec v for cheap since they are clearancing them out or whatever, or should i wait for the 2003 model since i hear it has stronger internals and has better gears........now my question is that the 2002 spec puts about 144HP to the wheels, about a 30hp loss..............does anyone know what a 2003 puts since it has better stuff in it i thought it might put more to the ground, and is it really worth it? thanks in advance

#4 ·
serspecv2002 said:
i would just go with the 2003 because ive had some problems with mine that are supposed to be fixed with the 2003
My roommate is picking up his '03 Spec tomorrow evening. We plan on taking that bad boy to the dyno as soon as possible. I would seriously consider purchasing an '03 vice '02. As serspecv2002 said, there have been lots of problems with the '02 that they have supposidly fixed for '03. :)

#6 ·
sr20 805 said:
yeah, its a protype car so i was expecting a lot of problems from the beginning and i did think they would be fixed for 2003.......so i guess thats the year to go for.........thanks a lot guys, very helpful
I'll let you know more about the '03 Spec as soon as I get to drive my roommate's tonight and we'll monitor any problems as they occur. I'm hoping to bring it to the dyno though, really soon, well, after break in. ;)

#7 ·
hey guys, i've had my 03 Spec-V for three weeks already....it i haven't notice any problems that these other guys have been experiencing....im really happy with it, i went for the 03 because of all the problems i read the 02 owners were experiecing, lets hope that they were really taken care off.

#8 ·
2k3Spec-V said:
hey guys, i've had my 03 Spec-V for three weeks already....it i haven't notice any problems that these other guys have been experiencing....im really happy with it, i went for the 03 because of all the problems i read the 02 owners were experiecing, lets hope that they were really taken care off.
That's what I like to hear. Let us know if you have any problems. ;)

#9 ·
i know a gy who has a 02 and hes had it for a few months and there hasnt been no problem wiht it as far as i know....its running fine and he runs it hard more then ur just drive around lol so maybe it was only certain ones that had this problem

G
#10 ·
the early specs that came out in like nov. are the ones with the most problems like mine i bought it in early nov. the first one to hit the dealer boy that was stupid what was i thinking. so as of now i'm not too happy with my car or nissan

#15 ·
the key to make sure you don't have any problems is the break in. If you don't hold back for 1000 miles and let the engine settle.................you WILL have problems. I know 3 people who have 2002s and broke them in softly, and they've had no problems. I can almost guarantee you that more than half the guys with problems raced many times before 1000. They may tell me I'm wrong, but hell, I did it with my gxe.............but I've had no problems with my GXE because my engine isn't nearly as sensitive.

#16 ·
dent said:
the difference between the 2002 and 2003 is there is no 6 speed in the 2003 and it has the regular sentra front end cap.
Homeboy, what the heck are you talking about? :confused: Nissan added the 2003 Sentra 2.5LE to their lineup this year. It has the same engine as the SE-R and Spec V, but is soley availible with an AT. It has the same front end as the B15 XE and GXE (Can we say Sleeper?). The exterior of the SE-R and Spec V have stayed the same, except for the addition of the Sunburst Yellow Color, and the Spec does retain its 6-Speed. Yes, the 03 Tranny has better gearing ratios, and personally I would get the 2003 Spec V, just because of the fact that it is that now the car is in the second year of production, and usually most of the first year teething problems are taken care of.

#17 ·
dent said:
the difference between the 2002 and 2003 is there is no 6 speed in the 2003 and it has the regular sentra front end cap.
Hahaha, you're a funny guy... get your facts straight before your post...

The 2003 isn't really more expensive, you get the 2002 at a rebate, but it's worth thousands less if you have to sell it...

#18 ·
sr20 805 said:
yo, i am seriously considering buying a spec v, now i can go to the dealership and get a 2002 spec v for cheap since they are clearancing them out or whatever, or should i wait for the 2003 model since i hear it has stronger internals and has better gears........now my question is that the 2002 spec puts about 144HP to the wheels, about a 30hp loss..............does anyone know what a 2003 puts since it has better stuff in it i thought it might put more to the ground, and is it really worth it? thanks in advance
The 2003 has better gear ratios, and redesigned pistons, rings and rod bearings.

Mike

G
#21 ·
I had no idea the pistons were resdesigned. Surely for all the oil burning complaints.

Even with the 2003 changes, the spec should have been a little higher on SCC's 20k shootout me thinks. Oh well, there's always next year. And why'd they get a lemon?

#22 ·
dent said:
The 2003 Spec V DOES still have the 6 speed tranny (A better version then the 2002), and both the base SE-R and Spec V still have the SE-R front bumper.

EDIT: WOW in the minute it took me to write this about 5 people already corrected your mistake!

#23 ·
i have a 2k2 spec v and havent had many problems to worry about. like the tranny for instance the crunching gears are almost gone. yes almost gone just got to be gentle with it. the reverse does that ziiinnng let's say 1 out of 100 times. i might help i purchased the car in march 2002 i have installed a AEM CAI and it has been lots of fun.!!!!! to all who are considering 2k2 specv or2k3 just break the engine in. thats is what i did and all the tranny problems aren't as serious as what i have read.

#25 ·
News flash...Except for the taller 1st and 2nd gears which isn't by much and the seats which I don't like except on the silver spec's there is no difference. The clutch is still clucky and you still can't get to 60 in second...I would go with the 03 but if you can get into an 02 for a couple grand less. DO IT!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.