Nissan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I purchased OBX headers a year ago and it came with only 1 o2 sensor bung on it so im using my front o2 sensor in it. The rear one that is suppose to go behind the CAT(Green harness connector)was bad and never replaced it. I been driving with the check engine light on for awhile and was wondering, what are my solutions for this without breaking the bank if possible? My emissions test is almost past due. Even if i can get rid of the engine light. I borrowed a guys engine code tool that plugs below the steering wheel and cleared the codes, but once the engine is shut off and on the code will come up again. Any help or ideas that would work would be great, Thanks :) :newbie:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I dont have a bung for it. The headers came with only 1 bung. The 2nd o2 sensor is currently not connected cause theres nowhere for it to go :(

·
Registered
790 Posts
options:

1) get a bung welded after the main cat, extend the secondary's o2 wires to reach the new bung

2) get a bung welded SOMEWHERE (after the first one of course), get 2 sparkplug anti-foulers, drill the center of one out with a 1/2" bit, it'll be installed like this...

2nd sensor, drilled anti-fouler, non-drilled anti-fouler, exhaust pipe

***second option may or may not require you to extend the second o2 sensor's wires depending on where you get the second bung welded in at.

Complete one of those options and clear the code

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Extending the wires by cutting the connector off of the o2 sensor end, correct? I have a mig welder i could maybe use?, but how would i cut a hole in my exhaust for the bung is the question. Is their a way i could do this myself by chance ya think or cheaper to go somewhere? Thanks by the way for the help so far :woowoo:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Extending the wires by cutting the connector off of the o2 sensor end, correct? I have a mig welder i could maybe use?, but how would i cut a hole in my exhaust for the bung is the question. Is their a way i could do this myself by chance ya think or cheaper to go somewhere? Thanks by the way for the help so far :woowoo:
yes, you could extend the wires that way.

You could always opt for a catless midpipe which the vast majority of the already have an o2 bung on them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, you could extend the wires that way.

You could always opt for a catless midpipe which the vast majority of the already have an o2 bung on them.
When i got the car i bought a magnaflow catback kit with a high flow cat and obx headers for it, paid like 600. prob wont opt for it heh. I will call some exhaust places and see how much they will charge to weld a Nut that fits the threads of the spark plug fouler. They will prob say by the "hour" which would be like 65 dollars or so. Ill keep ya updated.

So I will be buying those 2 plug foulers,drilling one of them, buying a nut to weld on the exhaust, and will be using that as the bung after my cat. I hope I got this right :) I will keep ya updated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the ring bung welded from a local exhaust shop. I used the antispark plug fouler method. I lengthend the wires a whole 5 feet to meet the main harness wires. I used weatherproof butt connectors and melted the heatshrink. I then wraped the whole length of wire in electrical tape. I have it routed to my main harness wires and am ready to connect those, BUT I need a wiring diagram from nissan for my car to tell me what wire goes to what. I have a diagram from the sensor that tells me what its wires are, but not the nissan end. I been searching around and cant find one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I got the schematic for the wiring telling me what is the heater, signal, and ground. I hooked it up correctly and its working. How I know its working is that when the car is idle it has a problem keeping it steady like it wants to die, but it doesnt die. I drove around for 20 mins or so normally and getting on it hard to see if the computer needed to relearn. Well its still having a problem trying to idle and it sputters when i hit the gas then it takes off right away. I wonder what is wrong? Im gona get the codes tomorrow and see what it shows cause the engine light is still on. Any opinions or ideas are always welcome :) That sparkplug anti fouler thing wouldnt be causing this would it?

·
Registered
790 Posts
if the anti-fouler is on the second sensor, then no, it wouldnt be causing the problem you're describing.

Pull the codes and see what there

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On another note when I installed my headers, according to the schematic, I had the 1st o2 sensor plugged into the 2nd o2 sensor harness connector. Now I switched that to the 1st plug and my second one is on the 2nd connector, according to the color coding wires from the schematic. The first o2 sensor isnt the problem because I disconnected the 2nd o2 sensor after it was bogging down the car and then the car ran fine. So yeah its somethin with this 2nd o2 sensor. I wonder if the car being ran so rich before and now with the 1st connector being in the right harness plug now its maybe bad, but it runs fine without the 2nd o2 plugged in so im not sure. I will be pulling those codes :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
the second sensor's main purpose is for emissions related stuff. the first sensor is for your AFRs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts