Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm hoping to get some advice, I recently bought a 2003 frontier with 4wd and 4 doors for $2,400. I thought it was a really good price. I got home with my new truck and parked it for the night. The next morning I turned on my truck with excitement to see that it smoked like a steam train, wow I just bought a lemon. Now I have a few options I guess, I can buy a new used engine from Japan with under 45,000 miles for $1,200 plus installation, rebuild the current engine that has 237,000 miles for the price of $1,500 give or take, or just sell the truck as is and live on with my life. What advice would you guys have for me?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm hoping to get some advice, I recently bought a 2003 frontier with 4wd and 4 doors for $2,400. I thought it was a really good price. I got home with my new truck and parked it for the night. The next morning I turned on my truck with excitement to see that it smoked like a steam train, wow I just bought a lemon. Now I have a few options I guess, I can buy a new used engine from Japan with under 45,000 miles for $1,200 plus installation, rebuild the current engine that has 237,000 miles for the price of $1,500 give or take, or just sell the truck as is and live on with my life. What advice would you guys have for me?
Well, going on just the info that you have provided.

If it were me I would either take it to an independent mechanic (A Good Honest One) for a free Estimate to get fixed. It sounds like a Coolant leak and may be comeing from anywhere included the Head Gasket (Blown). From there you should have narrowed down the immediate problem, However then come's whether or not the Transmission and/or 4wd has repair problem's or not. If it is the Head Gasket,, the Mechanic may have a temporary fix,, so that you can drive it home or to the Dealer without smokeing.

And/Or, call Nissan Consumer Affair's and tell them you have a Nissan Truck and would like the Best VPP Loyalty Discount on a Brand New Nissan that they can give you. Then drive it down to Your Nissan Dealer and Buy the cheapest New Nissan Truck without 4wd that you can trade your truck in on. Check with Truecar on the New Truck that you are going to get to find out what the lowest price paid was. Make your deal, and if succesfull Thank God and make Your monthly payments on time. 4wd is a Want and not a Need IMO. It cost's more to Maintain and Repair,, Plus the 2wd's will get better MPG, because the 2wd's have a better Rear Differential for better MPG. If you need 4wd for ICE and Snow,, then you can get a set of MudGrip's for the Rear Tire's in Winter Time,, Plus you can put bags of sand or whatever you have allready for extra weight in the bed for better Rear Tire Traction. If a situation needs 4wd then You don't want to be putting Your Truck in That Situation Anyway.

Don't Pannick and Take Your Time before makeing a Financial Decision as well as Pray about it in Earnest beforehand. When your situation get's better then you can use your New Truck to Move up to the Truck that you really want,, but for now,, You've got to get yourself out of the hole so to speak.

We all make mistake's in Life in One form or another, so take your time in figureing out Your Next best move.

Best of Luck,, and don't forget to call Nissan Consumer Affair's to get a VPP/Loyalty Discount on a Brand New Nissan.

Regards,

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,032 Posts
Good advice as usual. My concern is that the trade in will be minimal and that the sales tax on a + 20K vehicle will be an upfront cost never to be recovered that will be more than the price of an engine replacement. Another thing is the poster did not say where he is and I would think that would have some impact on replacement cost. I would also keep my eye out for other cheaper engine options, not sure why you need to order one from Japan. Good luck.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,440 Posts
VG33E engines aren't that hard to find used. I would try and find one with a guarantee from a salvage yard with less than 120,000 miles on it. I would recommend replacing the rear main seal, resealing the oil pan (rear oil pan lip seals are famous for leaking) and replacing the timing belt/water pump/front engine seals/tensioner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts