Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My great Pathfinder has 147k miles and I've been quoted $1800 to repair an oil leak, Rear Main Seal (of course) (Engine Crankshaft Seal Rear & Auto Trans Extension Housing Seal) and to fix Engine Valve Cover Gasket Set oil leak.
I haven't replaced the timing chain or any other major items.
AC works great, already put new tires on her and getting ready to replace the front rotors (warped again).

I'm afraid to put the $1800 and about $350 for the front brakes, is it time for something newer?

Also I've recently has 3 times were the car didn't crank on the first turn....guess my starter is going.... Anyone know where the starter is and how difficult to change? I have not had time to look for it but it appears from the little research, it has to be removed from the bottom.

Suggestions?

Thanks!!

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,375 Posts
My great Pathfinder has 147k miles and I've been quoted $1800 to repair an oil leak, Rear Main Seal (of course) (Engine Crankshaft Seal Rear & Auto Trans Extension Housing Seal) and to fix Engine Valve Cover Gasket Set oil leak.
I haven't replaced the timing chain or any other major items.
AC works great, already put new tires on her and getting ready to replace the front rotors (warped again).

I'm afraid to put the $1800 and about $350 for the front brakes, is it time for something newer?

Also I've recently has 3 times were the car didn't crank on the first turn....guess my starter is going.... Anyone know where the starter is and how difficult to change? I have not had time to look for it but it appears from the little research, it has to be removed from the bottom.

Suggestions?

Thanks!!
Most of your oil leaks are easy to fix by yourself. The engine rear crankshaft seal is the most difficult to replace. It requires the transmission to be removed; a major labor effort but if you have a set of drive-up ramps, the job isn't too bad; I've done it many times myself.

To replace the front brake pads and the rotors by yourself, the cost is around $125 for premium components. If you want to go cheap, it'll run around $60. The reason for the rotors getting warped over and over, is the use of cheap NON-OEM rotors.

There's no need to replace the timing chain assembly unless there's excessive noise coming from the assembly.

The starter is located on the right side (passenger's side) of the engine; remove from the bottom.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a violent shaking not constantly though it acts like all of a sudden the wheel is getting ready to fall off and then it goes away all ball joints and front end assembly is great shape tires are new can anyone help please

·
6,375 Posts
I have a violent shaking not constantly though it acts like all of a sudden the wheel is getting ready to fall off and then it goes away all ball joints and front end assembly is great shape tires are new can anyone help please
Balance all 4 tires if you haven't done so. Measure the caster/camber settings of all 4 tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could well be one or more worn out bushings.
Do u know the best way to check trailing arm bushings ? I believe that's it because once in a while when it starts that shake the axle goes into that pogo stick bounce two or three times it's either the violent no control shake like the wheel is falling off or pogo stick bounce ?? I appreciate your feedback ....thank u

·
6,375 Posts
You'll have to jack the car up and examine the bushings for any visual cracks or any part of a bushing missing; use a large claw bar and place it between the trailing arm and the frame where it attaches; then pull on the bar to look for excessive movement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You'll have to jack the car up and examine the bushings for any visual cracks or any part of a bushing missing; use a large claw bar and place it between the trailing arm and the frame where it attaches; then pull on the bar to look for excessive movement.
I appreciate and am so greatful for any feedback and your help this is such a great site I'm glad I'm here .....I've always had trackers and no maintenance but oils change filters and gas lmao I like the nissan though and still own my trackers I've had the pathfinder half way up doors in mud ar work and it went right through it thank u very much

·
Registered
12 Posts
I appreciate and am so greatful for any feedback and your help this is such a great site I'm glad I'm here .....I've always had trackers and no maintenance but oils change filters and gas lmao I like the nissan though and still own my trackers I've had the pathfinder half way up doors in mud ar work and it went right through it thank u very much
Got my new upper and lower trailing arms today planning on installing on weekend any links to install info for a 1998 NISSAN PATHFINDER SE 4X4 ?

·
6,375 Posts
It's a fairly simple procedure; however be prepared for possible difficulty in removing the nuts and bolts. The bolts may be rusted on so bad that trying to hammer them out may be impossible. You may end up torching them off. Hopefully the new arms have nuts/bolts with them.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
fixpath, this is like Déjà vu.
my 2003 had transmission, transfer case and main seal leaks. put it in and had it fixed.
Then starter problem, particularly when hot. replaced starter. Its difficult and expensive to get at on a 4wd. next week transmission died 100 miles from home, 168k.
If it was local I would have fixed it.
It wasnt, so limped to Nissan dealer and brought a new one, but no 4wd in stock unfortunately.
Good luck !

·
Registered
12 Posts
We had to torch
It's a fairly simple procedure; however be prepared for possible difficulty in removing the nuts and bolts. The bolts may be rusted on so bad that trying to hammer them out may be impossible. You may end up torching them off. Hopefully the new arms have nuts/bolts with them.

We had to burn them out for sure and got all three out in in upper and lower but couldnt get the drivers side upper out yet tommorow is a new day it rides 90% different but one problem the side with both upper and lower done ( passenger side is like 4" higher hoping when we do drivers side upper in it is the same height...well see in the morning but all the swaying and violent swerving is gone stay tuned for next episode....lol thank u for all your help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts