Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2002 nissan sentra gxe 74K miles. My car stopped on a highway and restarted after 2 minutes. I drove it home and restarted it next day morning. I didn't use it for next 5 days. It now cranks but doesn't start. Battery is fine.

I took it to pep boys. They said they couldn't read engine computer and they said they have to replace fuel pump. I took it to another mechanic. He said the problem is with the ECM (ECU). He said it needs a replacement. Yeah 2 different diagnosis.

Now I never had any issue with my car so far. This is the first issue and it seems to cost me 1000$.

I never got any recall letter cuz I never updated my address with them. Can I take it to a dealer for older recalls?

What should I do now? Bite the bullet and pay the 1k? What about used parts?

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
You probably have 2 different problems here. Yes it can be the expensive ecm but it could also be a broken wire, in the harness below the battery tray or the radiator support. This is a well known problem with us Nissan techs.
Honestly, I think it's the ecm and by the mileage on your car and the year, it's covered under your emissions warranty!
If it's the broken wire, you'll have to pay!

·
Registered
14 Posts
well i can tell you taht if its your fuel pump go to napa buy some starting fluid and spray it in the intake for about 3-5 seconds then try cranking it if it turns on its your fuel pump try to keep your tank over a 1/4 of a tank because the fuel cools the fuel pump but if that doesnt work call nissan and tell them whats going on and they should be able to help you out 18006477261

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a sentr 60k on it and it had the same problem
no one new what was goin on it turns out there is a recall on the ecm
the dealer didnt want to do the recall because my car is salvaged so i just bought a new ecm for 500$ and it runs great agaig i just took out the foam stuff around the computer wen u take it out of the car and it has 66k now runs great........

·
Registered
1 Posts
HELP WITH MY CAR I LOVE SO MUCH <3

Hi, i too have a 2002 Sentra. Mind you now i bought it used in 2012, it had 140,150 miles on it when i bought it. Today it is Sept.26,2014. The car now has 147,460 miles on it. I have not had any trouble with mine until now.I have had it parked now for about 2 wks. cause i'm scared of it. What is is doing was crank it up & it was like a chock would be stuck on the older car's that had a carburetor on these & the RPM would shoot up @ over 2-2 1/2,RPM just running away. It would start to come down some on the rpm's but not to normal, i go to put in gear to give it the gas & it don't want to go. Almost like it bogging down. Ok. I had it in the shop, they said they thought it was the thrtl body position sencer, ok that got put on (new one from factory ordered ), then it was still doing the same thing, but you had to just stomp the gas for it to go & when it went through all the gears it would ride like a charm.( on that day). Next day went to check it again & drive it, and it was still doing it so that 107.00 spent for nothing. Then i was told the Master Air Flow Sencer was bad. So bought one had it put on 248.00 (again ordered part, new in box factory), put it on & it is still not right. I went to drive the other night & those RPM's were going crazy. I could mass the gas & it was like my transmission was gone, but i would say i made it home in 3 gear. But it is still Running away just to sit & crank it up in the yard. I have been told i needed a knew CPU ( computer ). I love my little car, but i can't just keep spending money on parts & labor. Help !!!!! Thanks, Regina, South Carolina

·
Registered
1 Posts
SO IM HAVING PRETTY MUCH THE SAME PROBLEM I SPEND 3 HRS AT THE MECHANIC TO BE TOLD I DUNN OWHAT THE PROBLEM ID THE CAR SHUT OFF WHILE WERE DRIVING ANDCLICK WHEN WE GO TO TURN IT VOER THE REV ARE UP HIGH AND WHEN A QUICJ SCAN AND THE TRANSMISSION WAS DONE IT READ 385 RPMS AND THE CAR YESTERDAY WAS OF AND THE ENGING WAS STILL RUNING NO ONE KNOW WHST WRONG WITH THE CAR AND ITS VERY DANGEROUS WE NEED HELP ON HOW TO FIX IT!! THE DIAGNOSTIC MACHINE CANNOT READY THE COMPUTER ANDI DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO TO FIX THE PROBLEM CAUSE NO ONE KNOWS! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME IN ANYWAY HSAPE OF FORM TO TRY AND FIX THIS CAR WITHOUT HAVING TO JUNK IT!!!! N

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
SO IM HAVING PRETTY MUCH THE SAME PROBLEM I SPEND 3 HRS AT THE MECHANIC TO BE TOLD I DUNN OWHAT THE PROBLEM ID THE CAR SHUT OFF WHILE WERE DRIVING ANDCLICK WHEN WE GO TO TURN IT VOER THE REV ARE UP HIGH AND WHEN A QUICJ SCAN AND THE TRANSMISSION WAS DONE IT READ 385 RPMS AND THE CAR YESTERDAY WAS OF AND THE ENGING WAS STILL RUNING NO ONE KNOW WHST WRONG WITH THE CAR AND ITS VERY DANGEROUS WE NEED HELP ON HOW TO FIX IT!! THE DIAGNOSTIC MACHINE CANNOT READY THE COMPUTER ANDI DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO TO FIX THE PROBLEM CAUSE NO ONE KNOWS! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME IN ANYWAY HSAPE OF FORM TO TRY AND FIX THIS CAR WITHOUT HAVING TO JUNK IT!!!! N
Huh? Wha?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts