Nissan Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
More than likely they scanned the codes while it was in for service, and the knock sensor code came up (very common). Now they're attributing the SES light to that code.

Go to a parts store, have the codes scanned and let us know what they are. It's very possible these new codes are caused by something they left disconnected after reassembly.

Those Nissan techs are often no smarter than the morons behind an Autozone parts counter. I called several service departments here to get an estimate on the timing belt replacement for my truck ('01 SC), and two of them told me the VG33ER has a timing chain. They were good for a laugh and nothing else.

Ozias, how much did the T-belt replacement cost you?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your observation of increased power after knock sensor replacement seems spot on. Nissan is very conservative with engine management on the supercharged vehicles. If the knock sensor goes, engine goes into limp mode and maintains a maximum of 3psi boost, rather than the normal 7-8.

I wouldn't trust any dealer who advises you to replace four oxygen sensors. The knock sensor has little to do with the O2 sensor. Sure the mixture would be richer to compensate for engine knock, but that's part of the ECU design-- The 02 sensor couldn't care less.

An alternative to buying a code scanner is to take your truck to Autozone or a local parts store. Many of these places will scan trouble codes for free.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.