Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before but has anyone had any luck with getting Nissan to replace the 6 speed in the 2002 Spec V with one from the 2003? Mine has problems sometimes engaging into reverse and sometimes it's hard getting it into 5-th.
 

·
West Coast Redneck
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
I for sure know that one or two people got an 03 Tranny/ECU for their 02, though I think their problems were much more serious than just having trouble engaging the car into Reverse or 5th gear. There was some serious grindage going on, so their local Nissan Dealer determined that a new tranny was in order, and then they got the 03.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what mine does when I put it into reverse. The gears start grinding. But it doesn't do it all of the time and with my luck, wouldn't do it when I take it to the dealer. I guess I'll have to wait and see if it gets any worse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
SilverSpec175 said:
Thats what mine does when I put it into reverse. The gears start grinding. But it doesn't do it all of the time and with my luck, wouldn't do it when I take it to the dealer. I guess I'll have to wait and see if it gets any worse.
third gear is the problem they are looking for. It will gring when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. as for your reverse problem put it into a forward gear let out on the clutch then shift into reverse. that should cure the problem:D
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I've been mentioning this and thank God I still come to this board. Mine does grind in 3rd and all the dealers have told me to do is let the car "break in". Since other owners have had their tranny replaced I'm gonig to take it up a level and talk with a Corp. Nissan engineer in order for them to take us all seriously. Thanks for the info guys. :cool:
 
0

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I test drove a 03 the other day and it was also grinding. I bought a 03 SE-R today. YIPPPIE!!!!
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Welcome to the family. You got a classic sleeper now :D

Just let the car break in right (I don't think I did it right.. then again, if you're driving a thing like that, who can?)

Go eat on some honda boys, that'll put a grin on your face!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Grindage

Well I have just sent in my 3rd negative survey to Nissan of America. Mine has ground 3rd a few times and popped out of reverse a few times too. Is there a way or place I can check for tech service bulletins on my Spec V?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Re: Grindage

NISMO-CONVERT said:
Well I have just sent in my 3rd negative survey to Nissan of America. Mine has ground 3rd a few times and popped out of reverse a few times too. Is there a way or place I can check for tech service bulletins on my Spec V?
if it is not grinding every time I would say you are missing the shift point. Also if you look under the hood and look how the shifter mech works you will see why it feels chunky when shifting gears. I found synthetic tranny fluid improves the feel and action of the shifter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Nah

The 3 surveys were for Nissan service as a whole, not about them NOT fixing the grinding issue. The service where I live SUX bad. I can shift the car perfect now that I have been driving it over 5000 miles. I am just a picky SOB because this is my first brand new car and I want it friggen perfect. If others are getting 03 tranny's and better ECUs I want mine to as well...know what I mean :rolleyes:

BTW, what is everyone running for synthetic fluid? In some of my VW's I have ran Redline MT90 with success. What is the Spec supposed to run? Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Re: Nah

NISMO-CONVERT said:
The 3 surveys were for Nissan service as a whole, not about them NOT fixing the grinding issue. The service where I live SUX bad. I can shift the car perfect now that I have been driving it over 5000 miles. I am just a picky SOB because this is my first brand new car and I want it friggen perfect. If others are getting 03 tranny's and better ECUs I want mine to as well...know what I mean :rolleyes:

BTW, what is everyone running for synthetic fluid? In some of my VW's I have ran Redline MT90 with success. What is the Spec supposed to run? Thanks in advance!
Nissan only recomends a gl/4 rated oil so you do not have too many choices. Mt90 works great in mine. I switched to it as soon as I bought the car. The car takes 2 3/8 quarts:D
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Grindage

cortrim1 said:
if it is not grinding every time I would say you are missing the shift point. Also if you look under the hood and look how the shifter mech works you will see why it feels chunky when shifting gears. I found synthetic tranny fluid improves the feel and action of the shifter.
Hey I was wondering, my gear box hasnt been feeling as smooth as it used to feel when it was oh so new :-( . I was wondering if putting that synthetic tranny fluid would help cuz man i know that once the engine is broken in thats great but man i miss the smoothness of that new trannny :-(.............
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
tranny grinding

i bought mine last night and its fine its used with 12k on it.. How many miles do you all have that yours are grinding?? i would like to know thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
the tranny shifting problems are due to the soft motor mounts not the tranny itself. I will be filling in my motor mounts and I will let you know how much it helps the shifting problem. Also I know the mounts are the problem because I made a few videos of the engine movement on a dyno. The engine moves alot which means your tranny is also moving which means the cables that control your tranny are also moving. Btw b15sentra.net has a group deal going for place racing motor mounts for the qr25 which are not in production yet.:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: tranny grinding

SilVSpec said:
i bought mine last night and its fine its used with 12k on it.. How many miles do you all have that yours are grinding?? i would like to know thanks
Mine started grinding around 2000, theres 7 on it now. Nice to see your from Rockville, I'm in Bel Air just north of Baltimore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Gringing in reverse

It's not a fix, but it helps. After starting my spec I would put it in reverse and sometimes it would grind. But now I put it in 1st gear then go to reverse. It doesn't seem to grind nearly as much. 15,000 miles. My brother has a spec also and has the same trouble. He has 27,000 on his.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Mine grinds/wont go into reverse and sometimes first and 3rd. I will be taking it to the dealer next monday. Will report feedback here. Anyone have any advice on what to tell the dealer to make them work with me a little more??? My dealer sucks
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
No luck here. I was NOT able to convince them to replace my tranny. I think all spec v owners need to get a petition going and make them recall it. I don't feel like paying for a tranny right after the warranty is up. OR the fact that my car might be in the shop for weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
the reason the tranny grinds in the spec v is because the motor mounts are too soft allowing the motor and tranny to move. Which causes you to miss shifts also the 02 shifter mech itself is partly to blame, but from what I hear the 03's still have the same problem. Shifting into reverse- if it will not engage put the car into any forward gear and let out on the clutch then shift in reverse you will find this tip in your owners manual if you look. The grinding problem has nothing to do with the tranny because the tiburon uses the same one and they do not have this problem.;)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top