Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to work this morning in the heavy rain we received on Long Island. It had rained for a good part of the night before so lots of big puddles on the road as well. I so happened to go through a couple of the larger ones (no choice they were on the Parkway and just snuck up on me).

No symptoms appeared i.e. sputtering, choking, loss of power, etc. I got to work fine and didn't think anything was wrong.

Well, 10 hours later when I go to start the car, its just cranking, and cranking, and cranking, but doesn't want to fire. So I let the car sit for another 30 minutes (figuring I flooded the cylinders) and try again. This time it fires up, but runs rough for a couple minutes, and then just suddenly dies!

I let it sit for another 15 minutes or so, try again, fires up, but almost immediately dies again.

I open the hood, wiggle the wire's around a little to make sure nothing is loose, then fire it up again. This time though, when it turns on, I give it gas so the revs are up around 3k. I do that for a couple of minutes until it warms up (as it's warming up, the engine does some surging up and down). Once the engine is up to operating temp, everything seems to be fine and I drive home with no problem and no surging (even though it's still raining!)

What could be the culprit? Is this a common problem with the 2001 Sentra SE? Anybody with similar problems?

It is a manual, 2001 sentra se with 95k miles on it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a related problem. This morning I started the car up just fine, got on the road, and then the car started dieing on me. It was almost like the power was being cut to the car, or maybe even the fuel. I was able to drive it back home and park, but the engine light finally came on too. Maybe that will give me a starting point for troubleshooting. How can I read my codes without going to a shop?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts