Nissan Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am surprised that no one has suggested re-tension of the belts. For a new belt there would be a little expansion over the first month or so of running which tightening should fix. Belt dressing is meant to be a stopgap on old and glazed belts. A new belt shouldn't be glazed after a month or 2 of running. If the squealing is worst at idle and under acceleration typically means the belt is too loose and slipping. If you re-tension right away the belt should not glaze over and should be fine. If you let the squeal go on too long then the belts glaze and would need to be replaced or "dressed".
I replaced mine last year with Goodyear Gatorbacks and have yet to have any issue, though I will be rechecking the tension in the spring when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for all suggestions. I have not dressed yet the belts, first will try to re-tention both belts, as underling suggested; makes more sense now since the slipping at low rpm indicate low tention in the belt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You also may want to also try some ATF on the belts. Can make a mess depending on how carefull you are applying but quiets them nicely.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Belts were re-tensioned by a good mechanic, and the problem is all gone. Thanks everyone, especially to undeling who suggested the very fundamental approach in solving the issue.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go to any reputable autoparts store and ask for something to quite speaky belts. Then apply to one belt at a time to see which one it is. If it doesn;t help then you have one fo the 2 or both idler bearings going bad.

I have a .pdf of the complete 2001 Pathfinder Nissan dealer service manual if you want to dicuss, pm me.
I would love a copy of that pdf i have an 01 path with 267k rusty but trusty

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I would love a copy of that pdf i have an 01 path with 267k rusty but trusty
I have the 2003 pdf set and maybe others will look.
I can email you a link to download. send me a pm.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,517 Posts
NICO Club's web site has online, factory service manuals for Datsuns, Nissans and Infinitis that are free to use.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts