Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the belts changed (~1 month) again (first time was 3 years ago) and it's squeaking when car and weather are cold.

I was told I could try "belt dressing" which I never heard of. Is it good idea? Is there something else wrong with the pulleys?

thanks

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I just had the belts changed (~1 month) again (first time was 3 years ago) and it's squeaking when car and weather are cold.

I was told I could try "belt dressing" which I never heard of. Is it good idea? Is there something else wrong with the pulleys?

thanks
I've used Permatex belt dressing and it works great.

Before I used Permatex, I tried scuffing the belt contact points with sand paper, I even tried candle wax for grip and neither worked.

Get a can, shake it good, run the engine and spray the contact area of the belt without saturating it. Let it run for at least several minutes for it to get worked in. Sometimes it'll take longer for it to work, but just drive it around doing your business and the noise will be gone.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Belt dressing is a half-way decent short term fix, but only hides a deeper problem.
I think you're right on track with the sand paper idea. Over time, grooves in pulleys get glazed, smooth, can't get any traction on the belt. Either that, or the micro-miniature pits and gouges in the pulleys themselves get filled with crud and gunk. Used to happen all the time back in the days before the serpentine belts with multiple grooves, and the good fix was to scuff up the grooves a bit.
Take some 600 grit sand paper or some decent emery cloth and go nuts on the pulleys, grooves, all of them, not just one. Then replace your belts once more. Should be good to go after that.
And of course, making sure your belts are adjusted correctly is another thing. If you've got an 'automatic tensioner', the spring might be bad, not applying enough tension to the belt itself. By the same token, if it's too much, might be stretching out the belt, causing it to glaze itself and burn it up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

Does belt dressing hurt or shorten the belt life? I thought those belts should last long time (pathy has ~142k miles).

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Thanks.
Does belt dressing hurt or shorten the belt life? I thought those belts should last long time (pathy has ~142k miles).
I don't know...
It just seems to me that 'belt dressing' is sorta like putting 'stop leak' in a radiator or 'fix-a-flat' in a tire. Always a half-ass attempt to fix something that needs to be fixed right and ends up biting you in ass later on. In other words, a waste of money and time.
But that's just me...I'm weird that way...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I don't know...
It just seems to me that 'belt dressing' is sorta like putting 'stop leak' in a radiator or 'fix-a-flat' in a tire. Always a half-ass attempt to fix something that needs to be fixed right and ends up biting you in ass later on. In other words, a waste of money and time.
But that's just me...I'm weird that way...
The time I installed brand new belts, it made no sound. About a month later, it started squealing like a pig getting slaughtered.

So, I sprayed Permatex and didn't hear any of it ever again. I sold the truck a few years later without issues on the belts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Problem, but Belt is Definitely Loose

Due to a fan pulley failure on my 2001 Pathfinder in June, my son replaced the belt and pulley, but since a month or so ago, the squeals began. He hasn't had the time to check it out, and I can't stand the noise. After changing the oil & filter, I have my Pathfinder sitting on jackstands in my garage. I can see the tensioner adjustment, but is there a locking nut somewhere nearby? We live in the country and don't want to take it to the dealer ... unemployed "senior" on tight budget. As a 1st-time user to the forum, can someone help me on this? Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My 06 Pathfinder with 43000km on the engine had a squeaky belt. I applied Permatex belt dressing and after several days, it sounds like new.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I took my 2003 in under factory warranty at 30,000 approx, for squeaking belts.

They said I needed new belts, at my expense. I said no way its only 18 months old !!!
The service guy spayed WD-40 on the belt and sure enough it went immediately quite.
However i could see some pulley wobble.
The noise has not come back and the belts now have 84,000 miles, and no i didn't change them.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
With the exception of hydrocarbon petroleum resin rubber, other more typical petroleum-based products on rubber, especially belts and hoses are a NO-NO.

second paragraph under "Belt Precautions"
Automotive Belts and Hose
Good article, thanks.

So the bozo's at the dealership shouldn't have sprayed my belt with WD-40.
I will check it out later today and make sure there are no signs its in bad condition.

·
Registered
157 Posts
As far as the adjustment on the belt goes. Where the adjusting nut is loosen the nut on the pulley closest to it. Most are 12mm and 14mm.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Squeaking got worse and worse. Replaced both idler pulleys and a belt-no change. Crankshaft pulley (aka Harmonic Balancer) was toast. Path is driving like new again. Had all belts replaced as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've used Permatex belt dressing and it works great.

Before I used Permatex, I tried scuffing the belt contact points with sand paper, I even tried candle wax for grip and neither worked.

Get a can, shake it good, run the engine and spray the contact area of the belt without saturating it. Let it run for at least several minutes for it to get worked in. Sometimes it'll take longer for it to work, but just drive it around doing your business and the noise will be gone.

Hello there.

I have same issue on my 01 Pathfinder, especially on cold morning starts. Went into a garrage (no dealer, just some regular folks) and they wanted to change the alternator and the belts !!! (for $500 :eek:) I simply refused, as I am willing to try the belt dressing thing.
Which Permatex product should I buy and where from? Not knowing which belt is, I am wondering if I should do it only on the AC belt only. Is it ok to spray it on the main alternator belt also? Some people think that the stuff from the spray can could cause more damage...Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Go to any reputable autoparts store and ask for something to quite speaky belts. Then apply to one belt at a time to see which one it is. If it doesn;t help then you have one fo the 2 or both idler bearings going bad.

I have a .pdf of the complete 2001 Pathfinder Nissan dealer service manual if you want to dicuss, pm me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks dgangle. I tend to belive that it could be the main serpentine belt since it does it at low rpm's while idling at the lights, and the squeaking noise gets really bad when accellerating from the traffic lights and stear to the the left/right to make the turn. After the engine gets hot, the squeaking simply dissapears. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Make sure they put on good quality belt and they must fit right. I had a squeaky belt on our 95. Turned out the belt had worn down and was catching in the alternator pulley. I read on this board that a good quality belt must be used. Some had purchased new belts that did not fit the pulley correctly and they ended up causing problems. A good quality V belt should be used.

·
Registered
40 Posts
by "a good quality belt" do you meen OE only or can I get a good one at Autozone/other?

I am planning a belt and hose replacement soon as PM and inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Make sure they put on good quality belt and they must fit right. I had a squeaky belt on our 95. Turned out the belt had worn down and was catching in the alternator pulley. I read on this board that a good quality belt must be used. Some had purchased new belts that did not fit the pulley correctly and they ended up causing problems. A good quality V belt should be used.

Understood. I have the NISSAN OEM belts installed at the NISSAN dealer 2 years ago. Those belts should last more than 2 years... I would think...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts