Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm stumped and was hoping a forum slueth could push me in the right direction.

I have a 2001 Pathfinder

220,000kms.

Issue: When I am driving over 80 my car will splutter like its about to run out of fuel. It's not significant enough that im jumping around the car, but i can feel it and so can passengers...If I push the accelerator down a fraction (so i am very slowly increasing in speed) it goes away... but if i cruise again, it will return

I've also notcied when im at traffic lights in idle, after 10-15seconds the car will slightly splutter and i can see the revs on the dial pulsuating a little bit... after 10 seconds it seems to correct itself

I feel its a sensor related but im not sure which one is worth looking at it and some are hard to get too.

I have noticed, once or twice.. filling up my tank of fuel (at any random service station) can cause it to happen slightly worse (almost as if poor fuel is a factor also)

I had it at a mechanic they say its all fine and cant find a problem.

But its there ... thoughts?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,772 Posts
With the high mileage that you have on your vehicle, there's a good chance that the random engine problems you're encountering may be a marginal camshaft position sensor or a marginal crankshaft position sensor. Most of the time when this happens, the "check engine light" never comes on; subsequently when performing an ECU code readout, there was no fault code set. There's been many members here on the forum that have had problems similar to yours and the fix was replacing those two sensors.

The best and cheapest fix for this situation is to replace both sensors at the same time; the reason for doing this is there is no way to determine which sensor is at fault with this type of condition. You can take your vehicle to a dealer/repair shop and they'll tell you there is nothing wrong after they go through with diagnostic tests because at that time the vehicle was running OK. You could end up spending $200 or much more depending on how much time/parts are used.

When replacing sensors, always use Nissan OEM parts from a Nissan dealer; aftermarket electronic items generally are not reliable, don't last long, and many times are DOA. The sensors are not very expensive; around $75.

It's also recommended to perform an ECU code readout with a portable scan tool to see if any fault codes are set. The tool can be purchased at most auto parts stores or online at Amazon.com; also most auto parts stores will perform the code readout free of charge. Post the actual codes here on the forum so that we may be able to help you further. If there is one or more fault codes set, they can help point to the malfunction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the high mileage that you have on your vehicle, there's a good chance that the random engine problems you're encountering may be a marginal camshaft position sensor or a marginal crankshaft position sensor. Most of the time when this happens, the "check engine light" never comes on; subsequently when performing an ECU code readout, there was no fault code set. There's been many members here on the forum that have had problems similar to yours and the fix was replacing those two sensors.

The best and cheapest fix for this situation is to replace both sensors at the same time; the reason for doing this is there is no way to determine which sensor is at fault with this type of condition. You can take your vehicle to a dealer/repair shop and they'll tell you there is nothing wrong after they go through with diagnostic tests because at that time the vehicle was running OK. You could end up spending $200 or much more depending on how much time/parts are used.

When replacing sensors, always use Nissan OEM parts from a Nissan dealer; aftermarket electronic items generally are not reliable, don't last long, and many times are DOA. The sensors are not very expensive; around $75.

It's also recommended to perform an ECU code readout with a portable scan tool to see if any fault codes are set. The tool can be purchased at most auto parts stores or online at Amazon.com; also most auto parts stores will perform the code readout free of charge. Post the actual codes here on the forum so that we may be able to help you further. If there is one or more fault codes set, they can help point to the malfunction.

thanks so much for that write up, I really appreciate your time there.

I youtubed a few movies to see the sensor location and how to remove it, ill have a look tomorrow see how it feels.

again thanks - good karma dude.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VQ33E

the fuel pumps been replaced as I thought that could be the issue

I read on another forum that the crankshaft or camshaft sensor can go bad if there's a bad oil leak.
the car had a bad oil leak recently and the O ring was replaced. So that makes me think its probably the cause

i managed to get a crankshaft sensor local, waiting on the camshaft one from US.

however, they are in [email protected] of a location and im not sure with the tools I have ill be able to reach so it might be a drop and get done

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,767 Posts
There's no such thing as a Nissan "VQ33E." Maybe a VG33E?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts