Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one, I have a 2001 pathfinder LE with 155km on it, had a few questions about servicing it

1. What brand of sparkplugs and would be best recomended ?

2. I'm going to change diff and transfer case, and tranny oil, and not sure what oil goes back in each one?

Thank-you very much in advance

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
I can't remember what goes into the rear diff but the others I can help you out with.

Trans fluid is regular Nissan Matic D
Transfer case is the same Matic D
The spark plugs are NGKs

·
Registered
79 Posts
metro273: You resonded to me on another thread about a severe vibration at 45+ mph. Just confirmed that today with the 4th mechanic - it's the U joints, worse in the front shaft which he removed, but probably also in the rear. Without the front shaft, no 4Wd, but the virbration is much better. You were right in your advise. Thanks. All of the others particularly the infiniti Dealer told me Transfer case.... Here's another issue: The plug to the transfer case is "frozen" , probably not installed correctly. this new mechanic said the plug and the x-fer case are Aluminum. It's going to be quite a feat to get that out to chnage the x-fer oil. Any ideas??

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
^^^Glad I could be of some help.

As for the frozen plug, a torch is your best friend! Use the torch lightly, in other words, DON'T apply too much heat, just enough to break it loose! DON'T torch the plug, torch the outside area cause you want the outside area to expand, to help loosen the plug.

Be careful and good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
metro: I won't be doing this, I'm not a very good DIY guy, although I do understand much of this. Pretty fascinating to me. What about applying Liquid Wrench for 24 hours to the plug? Read that somewhere when I first Goggled this issue??

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
^^^Liquid wrench or anything else for that matter won't work. The "stuff" that's binding the plug to the trans body won't let the lube through.
Use the torch...:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
metro: Just learned of this stuff called Gibbs Penetrant from a local radio car Mechanic : "The Car Doctor'. I emailed him this entire vibration issue, he read it on the air, and he warned that torching IS THE LAST RESORT. I looked up Gibbs {I think the web site was GibbsLubrication.com - not sure} anyway, their penetrant is precisely produced autos, machine shops, boats, etc to apply to "frozen" aluminum parts. Supposedly works "miracles" with mixed metals. I let you know the results. I bring the PF into the shop April for the U joints replacements and try to change the x-fer case oil !!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Does anyone know the TSB for the vibration Issue?

I was informed that there isa TSB for 01 PFs, with vibration/driveshaft issues. Anyone know which one and where I can get access to TSBs for free??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi every one, I have a 2001 pathfinder LE with 155km on it, had a few questions about servicing it

1. What brand of sparkplugs and would be best recomended ?

2. I'm going to change diff and transfer case, and tranny oil, and not sure what oil goes back in each one?

Thank-you very much in advance
Just did the full service today on my 2001 pathfinder LE, got a quote from the dealer for $785.00, I did it myself at work..........

1. flushed tranny fluid........regular atf
2.drained transfercase.......regular atf
3.drained both diffs............synthetic 75/90 gear oil
4. spark plugs..................NGK from dealear only, $15.50 each
5. fan and ac belt
6.fuel filter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts