Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 Pathfinder LE, 197K, factory tow package. Tow frequently. Most always full of people or gear

I'm 'restoring' the suspension on my pathfinder. After all the miles and heavy use, the steering was sloppy, the rear bottoms out easily (even without a load on),it rocks side to side at the slightest invocation, and is not settled at highway speed

I'm not rebuilding it all the way, but replacing the key components to restore the ride and handing without spending a ton of time or money. Only expecting to have her for 2 more years or so.

Up front I put on new struts, new inner and outer tie rods (and new boots). BOOM, what a difference! (not surprisingly). Also plan to replace the front sway bar links.

For the rear, planning to replace the coil springs/spring seats, shocks (though they probably don't need to be), and the rear sway bar links

Here are the questions (about the rear);

Anyone have a source for Variable rate springs for the rear springs? Or the spring seats for them? I cant find either. I want a better spring as i tow frequently. I have found MOOG constant rate springs (MOOG on rock auto), and will settle for those. But either way, want to replace the spring seats.

Am I overlooking another key component for a nice bang for the buck ride improvement? Especially the side to side rocking?

Thanks! Pete

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 Pathfinder LE, 197K, factory tow package. Tow frequently. Most always full of people or gear

I'm 'restoring' the suspension on my pathfinder. After all the miles and heavy use, the steering was sloppy, the rear bottoms out easily (even without a load on),it rocks side to side at the slightest invocation, and is not settled at highway speed

I'm not rebuilding it all the way, but replacing the key components to restore the ride and handing without spending a ton of time or money. Only expecting to have her for 2 more years or so.

Up front I put on new struts, new inner and outer tie rods (and new boots). BOOM, what a difference! (not surprisingly). Also plan to replace the front sway bar links.

For the rear, planning to replace the coil springs/spring seats, shocks (though they probably don't need to be), and the rear sway bar links

Anyone have a source for Variable rate springs for the rear springs? Or the spring seats for them? I cant find either. I want a better spring as i tow frequently. I have found MOOG constant rate springs (MOOG on rock auto), and will settle for those. But either way, want to replace the spring seats.

Am I overlooking another key component for a nice bang for the buck ride improvement? Especially the side to side rocking?

Thanks! Pete
Hi Pete,
What did you decide to do? DId you go with the MOOG springs and maybe Bilstein shocks? I'm ready to do the same but what to see how it went for you.
Jeremy

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,874 Posts

Thanks! Pete
Your side-to-side rocking could be due to worn bushings in the panhard rod. Besides replacing the rear sway bar links, consider replacing the two sway bar bushings that attach to the axle housing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts