Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently got a 2001 Pathfinder being a used vehicle I began to check all the filter and doing some standard maintenance. But I seem to be missing the cabin air filters. I've watched the videos and searched all over, even called the local Nissan Dealer but it seems like certain models do not have them? Has anyone else come across this? I appreciate any info.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,769 Posts
I ran across this on my 2003 Frontier and the cabin filters that are listed on Rockauto for a 2001 Pathfinder look just like the ones listed for my Frontier (even though the part # is different. Nissan began putting cabin filters in some of their vehicles at the very end of the 90s and early 2000s and in some cases they were optional. In my Frontier's case, it was optional. To install the cabin filter set (there are two filters that combine to make one), I had to use a box cutter to cut along the outline provided on the side of the evaporator case to cut out the slot where the cabin filters install. One the slot is cut out, the first filter is pushed into the slot and then pushed upward. The next filter interlocks with the bottom of the first filter and slides under it. Once the second filter is pushed all the way into the case, there is a tab at the bottom of it that mates up with a tab on the case; a metal clip snaps over the two tabs to keep the filter in the box. The metal clip is supposed to come with the new filters, but often it doesn't, so a small, plastic zip tie can be used, instead. Your Pathfinder is likely the same way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds about right, I was wondering if I had to resort to cutting some plastic or not. Thanks for the tip!

·
9,769 Posts
That sounds about right, I was wondering if I had to resort to cutting some plastic or not. Thanks for the tip!
If you do, be careful because almost 20-year old plastic is more brittle than it was brand new. I had a piece of the part I was cutting out break off and fell into the evaporator case, which I had to painstakingly "fish" out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill keep that in mind. Just in case is there anyway of say getting the plastics from a wreck and swapping them?

·
9,769 Posts
Well, the plastic you are cutting out is part of the evaporator case, itself, and gets discarded. The end of the cabin filter seals off the case, which is different than current models that actually have a door on the case that flips out of the way. So, it doesn't matter if you break the piece you are cutting out, but you don't want to break the side of the case because you would have to repair or replace the evaporator case. Just make sure you use a sharp blade and make several cuts along the outline if you need to do so. The awkward position you have to be in to get to it under the dash doesn't help either!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good, ill order the filters and use that as a guide of where exactly to cut. I was looking at it and it seems like a straight forward job. But like you said the position is awkward and the plastic seems a little thick. Will give it a try.

·
9,769 Posts
Sounds good, ill order the filters and use that as a guide of where exactly to cut. I was looking at it and it seems like a straight forward job. But like you said the position is awkward and the plastic seems a little thick. Will give it a try.
Thick..but, more importantly brittle because of the plastic losing it's moisture over the years. Also, don't be surprised to find a bunch of leaves and debris that you'll need to try and vacuum out since there was no filter there to catch and block it for 20-years. Mine was full of pine needles!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ran across this on my 2003 Frontier and the cabin filters that are listed on Rockauto for a 2001 Pathfinder look just like the ones listed for my Frontier (even though the part # is different. Nissan began putting cabin filters in some of their vehicles at the very end of the 90s and early 2000s and in some cases they were optional. In my Frontier's case, it was optional. To install the cabin filter set (there are two filters that combine to make one), I had to use a box cutter to cut along the outline provided on the side of the evaporator case to cut out the slot where the cabin filters install. One the slot is cut out, the first filter is pushed into the slot and then pushed upward. The next filter interlocks with the bottom of the first filter and slides under it. Once the second filter is pushed all the way into the case, there is a tab at the bottom of it that mates up with a tab on the case; a metal clip snaps over the two tabs to keep the filter in the box. The metal clip is supposed to come with the new filters, but often it doesn't, so a small, plastic zip tie can be used, instead. Your Pathfinder is likely the same way.
100% all of this!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts