Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is worth it to fix it, here is my story on this car...I was about to sell it before I took it to get two recalls fixed at the dealership. They said they were 'fixed'. I picked up the car and 3 miles down the road heard a thud under the hood and it now shudders badly and even shuts off when the gas is not being constantly pressed:

Here's the story (on craigslist for sale) - was going to sell for 3k, now might have to sell for 1k as is and lose a lot of money i've put into this car:

2001 Nissan Sentra. Automatic. 138000 miles only. Ice cold AC. &&Heat. Just got an oil change, a tune up, de-greased the engine. Also just passed emissions until 2018 March. New tags. Only down side is the exterior is bad in a few spots, there is major sun damage to the paint on the top of the car and a dent on the front passenger side of the car. Daily driver, gets me from East Mesa to North Phoenix every day, It has great gas mileage. Has aftermarket sound system, no woofers, but nice speakers and deck. AUX Cord and Iphone sync on deck. Electric Door Locks all work as well as all four windows. Tires bought only a few months ago. Clean title.

Update: Took car into the Nissan Dealership to fix two recalls before I had sold it and the minute I drove it off the lot I heard pinging and it would start to stall out at 20-40 mph. I've talked to Nissan, who still has my car, they said a cylinder is firing only at half power, so I'm only running on 3 cylinders - - and because of that I would have to buy a new motor because they do not do any repair on the inside of engines (However, I'm sure this is do-able), they offered me 3900 total for a new motor with 100,000 miles. I know this is 100% their fault because the procedure for one of the recalls you had to drain the oil and I do not believe they refilled it, which makes perfect sense as to why my motor would 'explode' after a few miles of not having any oil whatsoever. I have filed two complaints with Nissan USA for this and also contacted the BBB. They will not take responsibility for ruining a perfectly running car just to fix two FREE recalls before I had it sold.

Update 6-7: The car still needs motor work and it is now at my apartment complex on Power and Guadalupe. It's a fantastic running car, once the motor issue is fixed.

Update 6-12: I have a mechanic coming to check out the car at my apartment to give me a diagnosis and a second opinion to which I will have the answer to the problem and either fix it and sell it, or sell as is with a mechanic's diagnosis besides 'you need a new motor.' The mechanic will be here 6-15 and I will update more at that time.

6-29-16: The Sentra has been diagnosed by a mobile mechanic and says that I might need 4 new coils and spark plugs, or it may be running off of 3 cylinders.

Someone please help!!!! Should I worry about this fix or just sell it as is?!

Thank you~

Bee.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
2,941 Posts
Sounds to me that if your are going to lose 2000 by selling it unfixed. Take it to a proper garage. The dealership wants to sell you a new car, and the mobile is limited in equipment and probably experience. You can get a rebuilt engine for a lot less, but your problem may not be quite that extensive. Stuff happens with 15 year old cars that have not been religiously maintained. If they had failed to put oil in your engine it would have seized in very short order. Sounds like a sensor or fuel issue to me. You shouldn<t say you know its 100% their fault, unless you can actually explain why. If you can prove they failed to refill it with oil, take them to small claims court.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Likely the most unhelpful response. And just FYI YOU shouldn't say I SHOULDN'T SAY anything at all. I already have claims to Nissan USA. I know what I'm talking about. Shut this thread down, no one else seems to know what they're talking about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts