Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Sentra will crank, but not start. Belts move, and the fuel pump makes the humming noise when I turn the key slightly, but I haven't been able to start it. I haven't gotten the chance to check spark plugs, and I have researched this but can't find a definitive answer. I thought maybe it was the key-less remote because the battery is dying/dead in it and I was going to replace it, and one of my relatives had an issue with their car not starting because of the security system. Before the car had this problem, I noticed for about a month whenever I started the car, it seemed a little weak and would sort of vibrate in park for about 10 seconds before smoothing out. Just before it wouldn't start, I moved it out of my friends driveway (started it, moved it about 30 feet and then shut it off), and then an hour or so later, it wouldn't start. Is it something with the fuel? Not the fuel pump, but maybe it's not getting to the engine?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't check right now as it's at my friends house, but I'm going over there later. any suggestions of where and what to check?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi mate,

I got the same problem, moving my car a short distance then it won't start.
I saw other thread for N13 said fuel flood in engine. But I haven't try the method their provided yet.

Another check it spark, if spark not works, it might be sensors issues.

How about your car? Has it fixed? What's issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
All,

It was fuel flood the spark plug if your car won't start due to moved a short distance.

I solved the problem by following steps.

1. unplug the fuel pump fuse, which located below the steering wheel, Australian version is in right side.
2. press the accelarate pedal and start the engine.
3. If engine started then stopped, it is time to put fuel pump fuse back.
4. start the car as usual. It is fixed.

the explanation is here.

If the car is run from cold for only a short period of time when you stop the engine the fuel pump continues to run on for a while. The pressure builds up and fuel leaks past the injectors into the cylinders. If the engine is warm enough it evaporates. If not it condenses over the spark plugs and when next you try to start it it is flooded and turning the starter just pumps more fuel in and makes matters worse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We ended up fixing it just before getting your reply lol, thanks anyway. We pulled the spark plugs out and brought them to the mechanic who had originally "fixed" the car, and he cleaned them off. Put them back in and it started right up. He also put fuel injector cleaner in as he told me the fuel injectors were leaking and that I had to drive the car a lot over the week in order for it to work, so yesterday I drove it about 25 miles. Now there is a new problem; it is overheating. I didn't want to drive it anymore as the temp was getting up there and I had pulled over to cool it off just enough to get home. New question is; while I was driving, I cranked the heat when I noticed it was rising, but it was blowing out cool air. Is this water pump issue, thermostat, radiator fans? It has coolant, and it didn't seem to be leaking, but I have no clue where to start. Thanks to everybody else who replied as well

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the radiator when the engine was cool and it seemed to be empty, but the reservoir had a little bit still in it? Again, the fuel injectors might be dirty/leaking, which is why the mechanic put in fuel injector cleaner, so now I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the overheating, or is it definitely a failed water pump?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Overheating issue

If you have turned the thermostat up to high heat and it's blowing out cold air it is a water pump issue. With the right tools you can get this done in a couple of hours. Check youtube if you do not know how or where the water pump is. As for the overheating it may be time to replace the thermostat, this is much easier and only takes about 5 minutes to do. The thermostat allows the coolant to go through the whole system so the temperature can stay regulated. I had both of these issues and once those were replaced no more cold air and overheating has not happened again. Not to say my 01 Sentra is working perfectly since now it does not want to stay running, I have replaced the ECT sensor which worked for about a week but now I can't get it to start at all and reading through other forum posts the most common cause is a flooded engine but I have tried the steps to help that issue with no luck at all. Anyway hopefully a new waterpump and thermostat solves your problems before winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts