Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Keep a close eye on it for the first few months and add top up oil as needed.

Next time you change the oil, you might try one of the 'high-mileage' oils on the market. Many people report decreased oil consumption with these oils after the second change and just about every brand offers one of their own.

Resist going to a thicker oil like a 15W-40 or a 20W-50 unless yoiu live in a VERY warm area. You don't usually get significantly reduced consumption from these thicker oils ... although I suspect you might get extra wear. I've seen evidence of this in a few UOAs ... Used Oil Analyses.

·
Registered
941 Posts
No rclint, I don't think you are nutty or weird for choosing this oil. It is a very good deal for a little over $12 per gallon at Walmart. That's how a Group III synthetic should be priced. :thumbup:

The oil is getting dark quickly probably because the superior dispersant/detergent package in the heavy-duty (gas/diesel) oil is cleaning up old films and deposits left by previous oils. Don't go too long on the first and/or second oil changes with this oil for this reason. The oil IS getting dirty quickly and should be drained out before too long. After a while this effect should diminish and the oil should appear to stay cleaner, longer.

White smoke can be a sign of a blown headgasket or some other source of coolant ... or it can be normal upon start-up, especially on cool, damp days. It depends on the circumstances and the amount of smoke. Do the clouds of smoke linger or disappear quickly?

And in certain light, blue smoke (from oil burning) can be mistaken for white smoke (actually steam/fog).

Watch the coolant level in the recovery tank and consider doing a UOA ($20-$30) which will show coolant contamination of the motor oil that happens with a blown headgasket or some other type of coolant leak.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yes, numerous dealerships and manufacturers will consider oil consumption of up to 1 quart in 1,000 miles 'normal' although everyone knows that is excessive.

Heck, I consider a full quart in 3,000 - 5,000 miles (typical drain interval) to be excessive. I'm used to owning cars where the oil level does not move on the dipstick in 5,000+ miles. :)

After a couple changes with the Rotella synthetic gas/diesel oil, I'd switch to one of the high-mileage engine oils in 10W-30. This might minimize the oil consumption and blue smoke.

They reformulate these so often, one I like now might not be the sasme in 6 months. But as a class, they seem to be able to help with some cars experiencing oil consumption by (mildly) conditioning the seals (if that's the problem).

If the problem is rings or scored cylinders, I don't think anything will help significantly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.