Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, long time lurker, finally own one so it's time to get educated.

I've been driving a 2000 pathfinder for about 3.5 yrs (edit: based on my join date, it's 4.5 yrs) as a company truck. I've put 180,000km on and only required replacing a balljoint and the crank pulley. It's now at 285,000km. I couldn't let this truck go when it came time to change company vehicles, so I bought it. It's slow, and heavy, but there is something about it... :)

I have 2 major questions-

1- I want more cooling because I'm going to be towing a bit with it and using it to pull trees... Does it affect the water pump to remove the mechanical fan and install electric fans? I would imagine part of the balance of the pump is in the spinning weight of the fan itself... Anyone tried and proven this to be an issue or not??

2- Regarding auxiliary transmission coolers - is it better to bypass the radiator or simply add another loop? I was hoping to find a cooler with a thermostat so the trans can warm up properly.

I think these are the biggest considerations I need to make right now, thanks for any input!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
It does not affect the water pump if you remove the mechanical fan. However, I don't recommend removing it to run electric fans. Cooling efficiency will actually go down unless the entire surface area of the radiator is shrouded to the fan(s).
If you can physically mount an additional electric fan in front of the radiator (behind the grille), to compliment the mechanical fan, that would be the better route. Make sure it's pushing into the radiator and not pulling.
I would also think about changing the fan clutch for a new one or a heavy duty one.

Loop the trans cooler after the radiator and I doubt you'll find one with a thermostat. You don't need a thermostat for the trans fluid anyway. It heats up very quickly.
The trans fluid should flow as follows: from trans>to radiator>to cooler>back to trans.

My recommendation is to leave the mechanical fan in place but install a new or heavy duty fan clutch. Do not install anything else (aka electric fans). Nothing more is really needed.
Do install an aftermarket trans cooler as instructed above. Most tow packages include them or at least they should.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

I've always thought it would be better not to have the load of the fan on the engine, but looking at some high output electric fans, they draw 20+ amps so I suppose the load is just transferred to the alternator...

I'll look into a new fan clutch, and I do want an option of more cooling so I'll go the route of an extra mid sized push fan in front, probably will help my A/C work as well. I suppose if I put the tranny cooler behind this extra fan, the fan can work double duty...

Now to find a cooler...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts