Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Maxima that shuts off while driving. Usually while coasting to a light or to make a turn. Started doing it once every several weeks now doing it almost daily and getting harder to start after shutting down. This is scary as traffic where I live is heavy and people will run you over. Also - the brakes don't work very well when it's shut off and niether does the steering. I've been putting off the repair because I am getting ready to trade it for a new Maxima. Anybody have a clue as to what the problem might be? Thanks - Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
sharris1119 said:
I have a 2000 Maxima that shuts off while driving. Usually while coasting to a light or to make a turn. Started doing it once every several weeks now doing it almost daily and getting harder to start after shutting down. This is scary as traffic where I live is heavy and people will run you over. Also - the brakes don't work very well when it's shut off and niether does the steering. I've been putting off the repair because I am getting ready to trade it for a new Maxima. Anybody have a clue as to what the problem might be? Thanks - Scott
overheating?

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
sharris1119 said:
Check the Ignition Coils, there's 6 of them and they do tend to go on these Maximas. Do you have a check engine light? Does it do anything before it stalls? The brakes and steering are stiff because they are not being assisted (aka power steering and brakes).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Engine shuts off

I had all the coils replaced last year at a Nissan Dealer. I understand the brakes and steering are powered assisted - I just put that in there to note the dangerousness of this problem in traffic. Got any other ideas? I'm stumped - unless they sold me faulty coils.

Kindfiend said:
Check the Ignition Coils, there's 6 of them and they do tend to go on these Maximas. Do you have a check engine light? Does it do anything before it stalls? The brakes and steering are stiff because they are not being assisted (aka power steering and brakes).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spoke to the service dept. at a Nissan dealer today - they said it wouldn't be the coils. Said it could be a number of things and want me to bring it in so they can test drive it - problem is, it doesn't do it all the time so could get costly. After talking to them I got another sympton today - after it shut off and I got it started again - it would not accelerate. Was like it was starving for fuel. I think it might be the fuel pump going bad.

sharris1119 said:
I had all the coils replaced last year at a Nissan Dealer. I understand the brakes and steering are powered assisted - I just put that in there to note the dangerousness of this problem in traffic. Got any other ideas? I'm stumped - unless they sold me faulty coils.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spoke to the service dept. at a Nissan dealer today - they said it wouldn't be the coils. Said it could be a number of things and want me to bring it in so they can test drive it - problem is, it doesn't do it all the time so could get costly. After talking to them I got another sympton today - after it shut off and I got it started again - it would not accelerate. Was like it was starving for fuel. I think it might be the fuel pump going bad.

Kindfiend said:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2000 Maxima that shuts off while driving. Usually while coasting to a light or to make a turn. Started doing it once every several weeks now doing it almost daily and getting harder to start after shutting down. Anybody have a clue as to what the problem might be?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts