Nissan Forum banner

2000 GXE Auto P0135 O2 Sensor is Good - HELP

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Chrisl67 
#1 · (Edited)
The car hesitates when cold for about the first 1-2 minutes. It also has trouble under hard acceleration (hesitates). I have a good mechanic that I trust. He already replaced the O2 sensor indicated by the error, however the car is still throwing the code. He just ordered another sensor and put it in. Same thing. He's convinced the issue is with the ECM because when he drives the car after ECM reset the monitors fail to set, and then the things throws the P0135 code.

I'm not convinced the problem is the ECM, because if that were the case the car would not run at all. A partial ECM failure seems extremely unlikely.

He has also checked the wiring to the O2 sensor. I am considering getting the car back, and checking the voltages and resistance of the new sensor. I'm also considering the possibility that this could be due to a MAF? I'm quite close to saying f*ck it, and taking it to the dealer.

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
You quite possibly could have saved LOTS of money if you would have taken it to the dealership in the 1st place.

Anyways, it sounds like the MAF sensor to me. The things you describe points to it and also the year and model of Nissan you have. Very common on these Maximas...good luck!

#3 ·
Thanks Metro267!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. My mechanic doesn't want to charge me anything for the diagnostic, but is curious about what the dealer finds, so I'm taking the car in Wednesday.

I'm tempted just to have him change out the MAF, but I really just want this fixed as the car has been down for a couple of weeks at this point, and even with the lower gas prices driving my 93 Suburban 7.4L to work everyday is costing me a bit of change.

Thanks again for the friendly help! As soon as I find out what the deal is I will post the resolution here.

-Chris

#4 ·
Here's what the dealer said

No mention of MAF.

Front pre-catalyst is clogged $706 + 182 for O2 sensor + about 200 labor
and only charged me about 400 bucks to identify the issue.

Car runs like ass when cold, hesitates won't go over about 3500 rpm. Once it warms up runs much better, still kicks out hesitates under hard acceleration.

I am either going to internally "modify" the front pre-catalyst OR buy a whole new pipe for about 250 bucks on line which includes the catalyst. I did talk to Cattman about headers, but at this point I just want it fixed for less than 1200 bucks.

I noticed the MAF has special security screws (torx with pin in the middle) any suggestions on removing it? Is this another special dealer tool.

Thanks again.

-Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.