1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Paddle Shifted
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is nothing new and I was always skeptical about it but CLAY BAR

PEOPLE!!!

CLAY BAR!!!

My 240 had a half-ass paint job on it when I bought it. The previous owner didn't fix the cars inperfections such as dents and rust, etc. Instead he just used the factory charcole color, dumped a bunch of metal flake in it, and just sprayed the sh*t out of the car. Anyways long story short, Rusty's paint felt rough like you could feel the metal flake. I figuerd I would need to get another paint job, which I plan to do anyways, in order to smooth the car out. No sir!

CLAY BAR!!!!!

I CLAY BARRED the shite out of Rusty! 2hrs of gentle claying and Vhoala!
Smooth as a babies ass. :thumbup: and with wax it was even better.
Just my 2 cents folks

CLAY BAR!!!!

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
is there a specific brand you should use? or is all clay bar baisicly the same?

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
BlankgazeX said:
there really isnt that much dfference... ive used grey ghost b4 and liked it...
ok so baiscly all you do is go to walmart or where ever and get the clay bar kit..........how do you know when you lube it? is it one of those things where you can just tell? and i have read you can use like a meguires "quick shine" as lube? this will work great because i have the silver color and my front bumper is very very dirty! i used a small bit of blue magic matel cleaner on it (a part you cant see) and the differance was amazing.....so hopefully this will get all the grime off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The "Mothers" kit works pretty well and it comes with everything you need :thumbup:

Follow the directions you first timers.

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
1.6pete said:
ok so baiscly all you do is go to walmart or where ever and get the clay bar kit..........how do you know when you lube it? is it one of those things where you can just tell? and i have read you can use like a meguires "quick shine" as lube? this will work great because i have the silver color and my front bumper is very very dirty! i used a small bit of blue magic matel cleaner on it (a part you cant see) and the differance was amazing.....so hopefully this will get all the grime off.

basically... yuo dont clay bar until you lubs\e... lay down some lube, run bar over lubed area... it isnt that hard... just make sure you DONT DROP THE BAR!!! it picks up everything, and you will have to throw it away because it WILL be contaminated!!!

·
Paddle Shifted
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I started this post I guess I should tell you how I did it and what products. First, I washed the car w/ Mr.Clean auto-dry (note I washed it twice, once with a little dish soap and then again with mr.clean). Never wash your car with liquid dish soap more than once a year! The paint still felt rough. Then I dried the car with my chamois drove it into my garage and started the Mother's Clay Bar kit. I cut the clay bar in half, this way if I dropped it I wouldn't have to get another clay bar ($17). I clayed the car by panels, lubing first and as needed. Make sure you fold your dirty clay bar and kneed it flat everytime you start a new section. Remember to gently slide the bar back and forth, you'll hear a slight scratching sound with some friction, dont worry this is good. Keep doing it until you cant hear anything and the bar slides with ease. Then wipe the lube off. Mmmmm cinnonmin. Now feel the panel with the back of your hand or lick it to make sure its smooth. Mmmm Tasty. Since my paint was so rough I had to lube, clay, wipe, lube, clay, wipe, so on so forth. Look at your bar and see all the grit. Damn, I thought I washed this car? Make sure you fold your dirty clay bar and kneed it flat everytime you start a new section. After I was finally done, I rubbed my naked body all over the car to check for roughness :dumbass: . And started with Meguiers cleaning wax. Buff. After I was finished that I put on Meguiers Gold protective wax.

(Here is a little tip: put some wax on your painted rims to protect them and keep break dust from staining)

Buff again. The whole project took almost 5hrs (2hr clay bar) all done by hand.
Next time I'll post some pics and a product review. Always use quality fabric not syn-wool!
And dont be afraid to spoil your car this not something you do every month, maybe every three depending on the enviroment. Maintaining it will make the next job a whole lot easier.

CLAY BAR!!!

Where my detailers at?!?! :banana:

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
good write up... you had to have a pretty trashed surface to need 2 hrs to clay bar... how many times did you go over each panal?? i can usually get a whole car done in about 45 min if its not that bad...

·
Paddle Shifted
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, like I said the paint job was very rough. When you ran your hand across the surface it felt like sand paper. I would repeat the panels until it felt smooth to the touch. The doors and roof were easy but the hood, skirts, fenders, and especially the rear bumper. The rear bumper was the worse! I kept claying and claying with no results; but, after about 30 mins( thats right 30mins on the bumper alone!) it was smooth. On average the panels got done twice. If you are still getting grit on your bar you need to clay again. Lube, clay, wipe, fold clay, lube, clay, wipe. Next time I detail my car I'm going to try and get a sticky with pics. I'm sure there are some professional detailers out there who can help. My next project is to remove the rust on Rusty. There is some on the undercarriage and engine bay of all places, I'll make sure I show pics.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just a tip;

That instant detail stuff that comes with your Mothers kit works great for buffing up plastic :thumbup: It's the only stuff I know of that shines up my motorcycle and ATV plastic like new.

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
Baddad said:
Just a tip;

That instant detail stuff that comes with your Mothers kit works great for buffing up plastic :thumbup: It's the only stuff I know of that shines up my motorcycle and ATV plastic like new.
chrck out plexus... and honda gold works wonders too an plastic...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts