Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 1988 B12 sentra(76000 miles) with a brand new transmission(800 bucks) and a new set of tires and steering stuff. So Ive just spent alot on this car, but when I was driving it home tonight it started clicking whenever I accelerated and when I got to a stoplight it stopped. It starts fine and will stay in park running great, but when I put it into drive it starts idleing super rough and shuts off. Got a new distributor cap and rotor, but I still have two cylnders not firing(3 and 4) Ive checked everything i can think of and have narrowed it down to possibly the fuel injectors

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
You only have one injector for all four cylinders. How do you know that cylinders 3 and 4 are not firing??

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i pull the tubes outta 3 and 4 it does not make a change within the engine.

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
I take it youve pulled out your spark plugs and checked for a good clean gap right?

Maybe you might wanna take it to your local dealership and see if the pistons are connected to anything. A broken shaft or a broken connections could easily prevent the cyclinders from firing.

If you wanna check look for stuff yourself follow the paths of everything your engine needs from start to finish.
(follow the fuel lines, follow the air intake, follow the electrical, follow the exhaust, follow the oil). Look for any leaks, look for anything unusual , bent, broken, or obstructing any of the nessceties.

Also check you plug wires really closely, sometimes the cheap plastic bracket that supports them breaks over tire and the plug wires get melted on the cylinder head (happend on a Subaru Gl we used to have).

Hope this helps a bit!

-Nick

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
stephenhudson said:
when i pull the tubes outta 3 and 4 it does not make a change within the engine.
Do you mean the sparkplug wires??? If that is what you are talking about check to make sure they are working properly. To do that, take out the sparkplug and connect it to the wire. Touch the end of the sparkplug to the engine block or head and get someone to start the car. If you see a spark then you know the electrical system is working. If not, you should probably change the wires and distributer cap, and the rotor if it is worn.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thing is ive done all of that, new wires, plugs, rotor, and cap

·
Registered
539 Posts
Did the car run fine before the transmission swap(besides the transmission problem obviously). If so, maybe who ever did the transmission screwed something up.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya it ran fine the transmission was like 8 months ago, got a new egr valve today, that didnt help anything

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
I moved all the stuff about the EGR valve into a new thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts