Nissan Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Distributor on installed engine is from my old engine. Which was working before the 200k motor locked up. The CKPS is housed on the bell housing of the transmission and has not been disturbed. As I only have the engine assembly, i do not have another CKPS but I can't see why the CKPS would have any bearing on the distributor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
By no spark, you mean you took one of the spark plugs out, placed its ground electrode against the cylinder head, turned the ignition switch and visually checked if there is no spark?

Also, is the cylinder head electrically well grounded? Check the conduction between the chassis and the head, as well as the chassis and the negative terminal of the battery. Also, is the distributer energized from the battery? Put the ignition switch "on" position and check if #7 pin of the distributer has 12V.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, I did all of the common checks, I should preface myself, I run a garage in St. Louis, and no visual spark hen engine was cranked. The block couldn't be any better grounded and all terminals except harness terminal at col had voltage.

IT IS ALIVE! I started checking pins, and grounds, and connections and everything else under the sun and found out that the CKPS harness and the coil harness are the same connector. They were switched. HA HA HA HA. Now, I just have to replace the oil seal in the transmission driver side axle and away I go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm glad you solved the problem. Sorry for asking you about the basic stuffs.

Same connectors in such a close reach? That's a bad design of Nissan!!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
IT IS ALIVE! I started checking pins, and grounds, and connections and everything else under the sun and found out that the CKPS harness and the coil harness are the same connector. They were switched.
What the crap...did not know that. I've got 2 B14's. Think I'll go out and label the connectors for 'preventive maintenance'.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The plugs are the same

I had a friend bring me a 1999 Sentra gxe 1.6 liter engine that they changed the head on, and low and behold it had no fire, 2 computers, 2 distributers and still no fire,...I swaped the Crank angle plug with the Cam sensor and it fired right up..Thanks for posting what you found...this way if someone has the same problem they can find this thread and loose a BIG headache.. **NOTE** The wire loom going to the cam sensor (distributer) have a piece of green tape and a piece of white tape wrapped around it...The Crank Angle Sensor plug/loom only has a piece of green tape only on it.....Big Smiles ;)
Louisiana.. :waving:

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,512 Posts
The first thing I would suggest is perform an ECU code readout with a portable scan tool to see if any fault codes are set. Most auto parts stores will do the scan for free. Since the car can't be driven, you can always buy the tool or maybe rent one. The two most possible fault codes for your problem would be a P0340 for the camshaft position sensor (CMP) and a P0335 for the crankshaft position sensor (CKP). The CMP or the CKP could still be defective without any fault codes being set. Check the harness connectors for possible bad connections.

To measure the CMP, which is located in the distributor, for pulse output requires the use of an oscilloscope; the same is true for the CKP. When replacing a distributor, always buy a Nissan OEM unit, not an aftermarket one. I have found new aftermarket units to be DOA. Your old distributor CMP could be bad as well as the new one.

It might be a good idea to replace the CKP with a Nissan OEM unit; they are not that expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Post a diagram for the distributor and I can walk you through on how to test it with a voltmeter. Or I can get a diagram while I'm at school and I'll tell you how to test.
I would really appreciate it if you would post a diagram with everything I'm having hell trying to find where I'm losing my spark at in mine

·
Registered
9 Posts
My girlfriends 1999 Nissan Sentra GXE lost ignition while she was driving. I had the car towed from the interstate, because I could not work on it there. OK, after 3 days of checking the forums, and replacing parts, I am stuck.

Here is the problem as I see it. The car has NO spark. It has fuel. It turns over fine. I have verified both. The distributor just wont fire. It is brand new. I looked over the FSM, and was wondering if the Crank Trigger could be the culprit. Its the only thing I havent replaced that works with ignition.

Here is what I have done so far:
Replaced distributor, and cap.
New plugs, gapped at .044, and new wires.
Set engine to TDC, and set distributor to #1 cylinder terminal.
Cleaned IACV.
Charged battery.
Changed starter one year ago.

If anyone could help me out with my idea about the crank trigger, like if that directly affects the coil producing spark. Any ideas would be appreciated

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,512 Posts
My girlfriends 1999 Nissan Sentra GXE lost ignition while she was driving. I had the car towed from the interstate, because I could not work on it there. OK, after 3 days of checking the forums, and replacing parts, I am stuck.

Here is the problem as I see it. The car has NO spark. It has fuel. It turns over fine. I have verified both. The distributor just wont fire. It is brand new. I looked over the FSM, and was wondering if the Crank Trigger could be the culprit. Its the only thing I havent replaced that works with ignition.

Cleaned IACV.
Charged battery.

If anyone could help me out with my idea about the crank trigger, like if that directly affects the coil producing spark. Any ideas would be appreciated
The crankshaft position sensor is only used during diagnostic testing; it has no effect on normal operation. If you installed a new aftermaket distributor, that might be your problem; aftermarket electronic items have been known to be unreliable, don't last long and many times are DOA. Always buy a reman'd OEM ditributor; a good place to get one is from rockauto.com/.

·
Registered
1 Posts
99 Sentra GXE no spark?!?!

Cleaned IACV.
Charged battery.

If anyone could help me out with my idea about the crank trigger, like if that directly affects the coil producing spark. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Yes a bad crank will cause distributor to not put out a spark .. it's 35$ if your throwing parts at it anyway but it see if it starts if it doesn't take it out wipe it off and return it..

21 - 33 of 33 Posts