Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have checked for spark with the distributor cap off and we got it, so replaced the cap and rotor (300,000 Km) and still no spark to the plugs (intermittent problem). Going to try again tomorrow, but suspect an intermittent coil (unusual?) or a defective "power transistor" which is basically operating as a solid state switch, or maybe even the RF noise suppression capacitor. My friend has thrown new iridium spark plugs, new fuel pump, new rotor and distributor cap at it, so now I'll haul out my oscilloscope and try to see what's really going on with this machine, no DTC (codes) have been thrown. He only uses the Pathfinder for snow plowing, so it sits around for most of the year here (OK, 1/2 the year). Anyone else have a similar problem with this nearing ancient 3.3 V6? If/when we find it, will post back here with our solution, thanks in advance for any advice...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that (distributor replacement) is a very expensive proposition! Thanks for responding, heading out tomorrow with an oscilloscope to check it all out, hopefully we'll make a successful determination about the real problem which was intermittent but now seems to be permanent. Will report back with our learnings...

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,549 Posts
Good luck! FYI, there is a crank position sensor at the top of the trans bellhousing, but it's only for ECM monitoring and has no effect on engine performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the coil, the primary only about 0.5 Ohm, secondary 11.46 K Ohm (suspect primary partially shorted) and there was spark at the coil but not out of the distributor cap (new cap and rotor). We couldn't get a new coil locally today, so we took a complete distributor off a 2001 Frontier, installed it, and the Pathfinder fired up right away. Photo of my happy friend plowing his acreage driveway with it. Thanks for the suggestion of replacing the distributor, we likely would be waiting for a new coil...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts