Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Nissan Sentra that has 89,000 miles on it. Recently I noticed it has been starting rough. It engine will kick over, the rpm gauge will shoot up, then down. Then the car shuts off immediately. It sometimes starts if I pump the gas simultaneously as I start the car. I just had the car tuned up about 5,000 miles ago, full tune up! Sometimes when it does start, the rpm needle will dance around 400 rpms, then I pump the gas and it levels off. I recently brought it to a mechanic and he put it on the computer. It pinged like 7 codes. Mostly to do with air and emission. (Idle air control, vaccum, amongst others) My check engine light never came on either. He seems to think it is a bad computer in my car cause he tells me my car is driving smooth. He said it doesn't seem like I have any of those problems. With the exception of the rough start? I am not burning gas either. My questions are, and thanks in advance!

-could it be the computer?

-can I reset it and how?

-Is a new one hard to install?

-should I be checking something else?

Thanks so much guys, serious!!!!!

Signed,

Hopeless!!!!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
No answers hah? I have a simaler issue with my 96 and it's driving me nut's! I have tried just about evrthing and I am starting to think it might be a computer issue? I mean the only other thing it can be is the fuel pump because mine starts fine once warm??Do you have the hard start all the time??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, it happens every now and then. Sometimes I have to pump the gas to start it. It was put on a computer last week and a bunch of codes came up. My mechanic now thinks it's a bad computer. I will try and find a used one. It happens once every month or so. Sometimes more than that even?? Who knows man, lol!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yea well it couldbe the computer but I am leaning toward my fuel pump because once this thing is warm it will start with no issues! But if it has to sit over night forget it!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I wish it were that easy! I have been through everything in this car and finally thought that I had it with the distributer,it helped but I still get a cold start issue....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts