Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, I inherited the Pathfinder from my brother-in-law, though I'm not really confident in saying "it's mine" even though I am basically the primary driver. And I drive for my work, 5 hours a night.

There are currently two issues with the Pathfinder's cig lighters.

The rear socket is completely blown... and I'm having difficulty finding the fuse for it, if there is one. It would be nice to have, but ultimately, the other issue is a bigger deal for me.

But alas... the only thing I can ask is... so, where is the fuse for the rear socket? Is there one? If not, does it mean I'll have to pull out the wiring for it and replace the faulty wires?

edit: Actually, I did find something in the fuse box in the engine compartment... "Aux lighter" or something, I forgot at the moment. But the problem is... when I went to put a fuse in, it was missing one wire contact. Which, as far as I know, is how it's usually setup for whatever was NOT "included" from the factory. So, I have no idea beyond that.

The other issue (to follow), which after I typed it up, I realize, there's not a whole lot anyone else can tell me. But comments about it are still welcome.

The front socket blew three fuses after I bought a splitter (2+USB). On top of that, I just bought an iPod and charger w/controls for the iPod. I'm having trouble getting the controls to consistently work, but it does charge.

I find it interesting that the 15 amp fuse in the fuse box blows out, while a 5 amp fuse in the head of the splitter is still intact (the splitter says it's a 5 amp anyway). I put in a 20 amp fuse for the time being, just to curb the constant need to replace blown 15 amp fuses.

Now, that being said... after some testing... I am VERY inclined to believe the splitter is... faulty. The iPod charger w/control works fine without the splitter. However, I need A splitter because I need to constantly use a GPS unit (its battery lasts all of 30 minutes of my 5 hours). Even if the rear socket worked, I couldn't plug the GPS to the rear socket because of the relatively short wires. And I would imagine trying to reach the ipod controls behind me would be very uncomfortable, not to mention that the cassette adapter wouldn't reach the line-out jack on the charger head.

I'm looking to buy a splitter from Amazon tonight, hopefully, it's of better quality then the splitter that I have. And if so, I'll put a 15 amp fuse back as it should be for the cig lighter.

If I can get the rear socket to work also, then I could plug in my phone or headset charger and leave them out of the way.

·
3,553 Posts
You can always get an auxiliary accessory socket, screw it under the dash and run a few wires for it. They're hella cheap and easy to install.

There isn't a paperclip or anything silly like that in the bottom of the socket, is there? ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, to be honest, I didn't really look that hard, but I did give it a once over and didn't see anything in the socket.

Speaking of paper clips, that reminds me on the one time I saw a paperclip fall through the vents of an old monitor... that thing shorted out pretty quick.

*side note... it's pretty funny, seeing an ad for a Lancer Evolution on a Nissan forum.

I ordered another splitter, so we'll see how that goes. Either way, I wouldn't know where to put it for both easy access and out of way (namely, so the chair doesn't push it when being adjusted).

As for the old splitter. It fried my 20 amp fuse today!!! sigh. Well, at least I put back a 15 amp fuse, like it "should" be. I had unplugged the splitter the night before since I was using the GPS on it's own battery. The moment I plugged in the splitter, the fuse popped. Having JUST passed a gas station, I didn't have any other place to pull over... so I did the swap while driving. My arms are long, so I was able to keep my eyes on the road while reaching under to pull the popped fuse out.

I actually had a bad feeling when I bought the splitter over a month ago... but I just passed it off as me being too pessimistic. Plus, I was too eager to get SOMETHING so I could plug in more than one device at a time. =.='

1 - 3 of 3 Posts