Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 1998 Nissan Sentra 1.6L Manual Transmission with 166,000 miles on it.

My starter isn't getting juice when I turn the key. My fuses are good in the dashboard. My fuses are good next to battery in the engine compartment. My battery is good and charged. My clutch pedal sensor has been bypassed. I think my ignition switch is good because the fuel pump kicks on when I try to start. If I short the big fat red wire to the little black/yellow wire on top of the starter solenoid, the starter cranks and the car starts.

Does anyone have an idea what might be stopping juice from getting to my starter solenoid through the little black/yellow wire?

At Autozone and Oreilley they sell an ignition relay (O.E.M. #25230-9B900) but I haven't seen any sign of this relay in my engine compartment or around the fuses under the dashboard. Does anyone know where this is located?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found the ignition relay located right on the fuse board under the dash kind of up to the left if you get on your knees and look. I replaced the ignition relay, but it didn't fix the situation.

Does anyone know which of the ignition relay's connections I should test to see if it is getting a 12 Volt on signal?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Check and see if there is power at the clutch interlock relay if not this means that your theft deterant system has been activated and is causing the relay to be grounded interupting the power to the ignition. That is assuming that this car has an alarm??

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,241 Posts
Dont forget the switch at the clutch pedal, is the carpet riding up stopping the pedal from going all the way down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a similar problem, except in my case, I've already swapped the inhibitor relay from a nissan sentra my buddy drives. Using the same inhibitor relay, his car starts fine, mine has trouble. My car starts fine in cold temperatures, but if my car sits in the sun for a while, or if I've been driving it for longer than 30 minutes, it won't even crank. Most of the time, I wiggle my key a couple times, and it starts. Other times, I have to take a coffee break why my car cools down enough that it'll crank. It's a 96 sentra GLE, and I've already replaced the starter. Any help would be really appreciated. Every mechanic I've gone to has said try to replace the inhibitor relay, but that didn't work.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hmm It's sounds electrical to me? If you have to wiggle the key to get something to happen I would almost bet that it's the ignition itself that has a short in it somwhere. Oh and don't forget that the way the theft deterant works is when the doors lock they make a ground telling the ecu to arm. I found this out the hard way lol. Or at thats the way I think it works........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SUCCESS! Thank you schoust and all who replied. It was the anti-theft system. I quit using my keyless entry remote years ago since the plastic ring wore through and I can't attach my keys to it. I found the remote in my glovebox, unlocked the car, and it started right up. About a week ago, I replaced my alternator and that may be where this problem began.

Thank you, this will end the many embarrassing moments I've had this past week jump starting my car with a screwdriver in front of my friends. Thanks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Honestly it's all in Black and White. Did you down load the Manual yet? If you have not and are going to keep your car I strongly suggest that you do because it will be a very valuable tool for you as it has been for me. Glad I could help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem but the other way around....

Interesting reading about this issue as I'm experiencing the same problem.

About a month or two ago my 96 Sentra (70k mi) began tuging at the starter when I turned the key. I thought:new battery soon....

Then she let me down in the Cosco parking lot. Nada, not a tick, tick, tick of a bad solonoid. Just nada.

Came back with the tools cleaned the battery cable and wallah, cranked over.

Straight to Sears, $90 later...get her home, same problem. Let it sit overnight: It starts (still groans to turn over though).

I just BEGAN using the remote again after several years...could this be related to my "new" starting problem?????

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem as eattomatoes69 does. When my car sits out in a hot asphalt parking lot in the summer with the windows up, it won't start. I bypassed the clutch relay and changed the starter. The only fix I've found so far is to not park it on a hot asphalt parking lot in the summer with the windows up. Anyone else have this problem and know the fix for it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem is in the ignition switch. I had the same problem when my car would sit in the sun it wouldn't start. Or if I drive for a few minutes and try to restart it sometimes wouldn't. You don't need the key cylinder part just the switch which has two small Phillip head screws. Disconnect the harness and install in reverse order. Very easy repair. I believe Auto Zone has this part for $30+ or you can order off Ebay. REMEMBER you DO NOT need the key cylinder part. There is a guy on YOUTUBE that has a video if you search 'install ignition switch on 95-99 Maxima' Sentra and Maximas ignition look the same.

T

1 - 11 of 11 Posts