Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my friend just picked up a 1998 nissan 200sx.. it has 207K miles on it.. the car looks perfect.. cept needs a new windshieild and back bumper.. he got it for 200 bucks..we went to fire her up.. and nothing.. the car won't turn over.. i popped the hood and found oil EVERYWHERE.. at first i thought blown head gasket.. but i removed the valve cover and evertyhing seemed ok.. the oil isn't missed with anything its like the engine just opened up and spit the oil out..all the other fluids are fine.. we did notice that the radiator fans.. only one fan will spin freely.. the other is stuck and will not move..dunno if thats a sign of anything.. but all i can say is that theres oil everywhere.. which he cleaned off today.. the car gets power.. starter looks fine.. but will not turn over.. i know this is vague but any info on what i should look at would be helpful thanks guys

·
Come here often?
767 Posts
Look for white milky looking stuff in the engine oil. If there is some there then it's coolant in your oil that probably got there through a blown head gasket. Is your timing chain still in tact? At that mileage the timing components (tensioners & guides specifically) might have failed if they were never replaced. Try putting the car in neutral and putting a wrench on the crank pulley nut. (You'll probably have to pull off the front passenger side wheel and mud guard to get at it.) It ought to be fairly easy to turn the engine over with a big wrench, otherwise your motor may be siezed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hows it going im the friend with the 200sx i tried messing iwth it 2day and i checked the fuses, starter, and spark and its all good i have it all. the one thing i do hear is this bad tapping noise now when i try to start it. its getting fuel to i see and smell it. it has a new cap, rotor, and plugs filters, wires, and pcv vaule. im really lost i tried everything if anyone can help me i could really use it THANKS.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
did you check and make sure it has oil? (no oil, it could have seized up) have you tryed a rolling start? if you can turn the engine with a large wrench try a rolling start (roll it down a hill and pop the clutch with the ignition in the "ON" posision) and if that works drive it back and replace the starter. but dont do this untill you figure out if your engine is seized or not! if you do it without knowing your tranny could be 100% destroyed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1.6pete said:
did you check and make sure it has oil? (no oil, it could have seized up) have you tryed a rolling start? if you can turn the engine with a large wrench try a rolling start (roll it down a hill and pop the clutch with the ignition in the "ON" posision) and if that works drive it back and replace the starter. but dont do this untill you figure out if your engine is seized or not! if you do it without knowing your tranny could be 100% destroyed.
it has plenty of oil.. the previous owner simply said that the car was fine until one day while driving it just stalled on its own.. and poof.. it wouldn't turn over after that..start, alternator, battery all look good..my concern is the fact that when we first opened up the hood.. we found oil.. oh both sides of the head and block.. not a lil.. but a LOT of oil.. yet theres still plenty of oilin the engine.. there doesn't seem to be any signs of water or antifreeze mixing wit the oil.. no whit stuff in the oil nothing.....if the motor has siezed.. is that it for this GA.. or is it possible to ressurect the motor.. ?

·
265k miles and counting..
2,656 Posts
Sounds to me like it was overheated due to the bad fan motor and the engine siezed. Finding alot of oil in the engine bay of a 90's Nissan is not too uncommon, owing to a common failure of the front main seal. This won't kill the engine as long as it has the oil level maintained regularly.(However, if it is all fresh oil, I would look for a hole in the block from a thrown rod) If it does not turn over freely by hand using a 1/2 in drive socket wrench and a 1 1/16 in socket (or is it a 1 1/8?) consider the engine dead and find another one.GA's are common engines and can be found relatively cheaply in salvage yards and wrecked parts cars.I would expect to pay less than $500 for one if you shop around (MUCH less if you REALLY shop!). Nissan used the GA16DE engine from 1991-1999 in the US, and still uses it in Mexico in the Tsuru, so they are plentiful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts