Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here had any dealing with changing the evaporator and expasion valve on a 1998 frontier? I am trying to replace with aftermarket evaporator and the expasion valve has a capilary tube for external equalization. The evaporator has no place for the tube. Will an internal equalized expasion valve work? These parts were only on a 1998 as far as I can tell. Nissan changed design in 1999 and went to internal equalized valve.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Has anyone on here had any dealing with changing the evaporator and expasion valve on a 1998 frontier? I am trying to replace with aftermarket evaporator and the expasion valve has a capilary tube for external equalization. The evaporator has no place for the tube. Will an internal equalized expasion valve work? These parts were only on a 1998 as far as I can tell. Nissan changed design in 1999 and went to internal equalized valve.
Make sure they gave you the right part. The problem with aftermarket parts is just that they may be cheaper, but they may not always be right. Due to past experience, I would not use anything but OEM. Maybe you can find a wholesaler in your town or area who can get you an OEM evap at a good price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have done some research here and the evaporator they sent me is right for a late 1998 model . When ordering an expasion valve they ask if it is internal or external equalization. The problem with atermarket parts is there is no direct replacement for the external equalizer capilary tube. So if If i change expasion valves it should work right?

·
Registered
315 Posts
You can probably use a capillary type expansion valve. You will have to clamp it (sensor bulb)to the outlet side of the evaporator coil. After clamping it (don't overtighten) you will have to wrap it with gum cord tape. Change the drier too and check the oil. Then evacuate and charge the system as needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts