Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughters "check engine light" came on yesterday. Took it to Auto Zone for them to code read and they said it was an EGR valve malfunction. He also said it wouldn't affect the way the car runs, that it was mainly for emissions control. He reset the light and it is out for now. Should I replace the valve or let it go? Also, how tough a job is it to change? The car is a 97 Sentra with the 1.6 engine and 113,000 miles> Thanx.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check the tubes going in/out of EGR.
I had similiar problem in my 97 sentra, turner out one of the input tubes
was burnt out. I moved my hand over tuber, and it just fell apart.

Solution: 50 cent tube from autozone. Its kind of hard to put the new tube in, so i used
a little lubricant (very little) and it worked.
I asked Autozone to reset code after replacing tube and its been working like a champ for last 2 year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
karson, thank you for the info. That egr valve doesn't look easy to get to. I'll look at the tubes if I can get my daughter out of the car for a while. Was that tube a specific part for that valve? All the bolts and connections look pretty corroded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was suggested two things
1) Open the big pipe coming into EGR from exhaust manifold and clean it using a carbon cleaner and brush.
2) Open EGR and use a carbon cleaner on this also.

Now opening up EGR did not look easy. So i started checking the rubber tubes going in and coming out of EGR, and found that two of those tubes were cracked. I guess i was lucky.

I i were you, I would try looking into the rubber tubes first, since its easy if all tubes are ok, then i would try to clean EGR.

Also rememebr that if rubber tubes have cracked, you will have to reset the check engine.

BTW i am working on "absolute pressure sensor" reset. Any ideas.

Best Regards
sandeep

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
karson, i will check the hoses first since they're the easiest to get to. I didn't know you could open the egr. Nothing is really easy to get to on this car without taking something else apart! I'm sot sure about the pressure sensor reset, but i'll check my manual>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts