Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be doing the timing belt on the truck. Its a bit past due service time.

Got everything from Nissan:
  • Timing Belt
  • Timing belt tensioner
  • Tensioner spring
  • Water Pump, Gasket, and Studs
  • Two cam seals
  • Crank seal
  • Thermostat
The nissan liquid sealant for the thermostat housing seems to be discontinued. What other gasket sealant can I use to seal the thermostat housing and be able to put the truck back into service the same day?

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,301 Posts
I use Permatex Ultra Grey Rigid High Torque RTV sealant. It's similar to the grey sealant Nissan uses on their engines and can be found at most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use Permatex Ultra Grey Rigid High Torque RTV sealant. It's similar to the grey sealant Nissan uses on their engines and can be found at most auto parts stores.
View attachment 7436
Thanks

And the vehicle can be driven the same day after using that?

Reason being the job is getting done at a buddy’s garage and wouldn’t be able to leave it there overnight if need be. The product instruction says 24 cure time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It's 24 hours to cure hard but about 4 hours to be driveable. You or your mechanic can accelerate the cure by running some water over it after it's sealed up. The Ultra Gray is a hybrid but still uses a weak acid as the curing agent, so leaching the agent out of it with water accelerates the cure just like regular RTV.

·
10,301 Posts
I prefer sealant, but, I'm pretty sure you can get a paper gasket for the thermostat housing on the aftermarket, if you prefer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I got all the parts for the timing belt project.

All parts were ordered from Nissan Parts Deal. The timing belt part number was 13028-0B785 and verified by vin. However the belt receiver came in the Nissan box with that part number label on it but the belt itself says 13028-0B700.

When I look this back up on their website by my vin number it says it does not fit my vehicle. But if I search by vehicle year and model (1997 Pathfinder) it shows that it fits that vehicle.

It also says on courtesy Nissan parts that 13028-0B785 replaces 13028-0B700

So is this the right belt?

IMG_8105.jpg

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Looks like it's a supersession. The NPD search function doesn't always handle those correctly. For instance, if your ride was built after the supersession occurred and used the new part, the superseded part will show up as a no-fit even though it's the same part. That stuff gets checked through DPC at the dealership, which is a better dbase and accounts for things like that. If Courtesy tagged it as a superseded-but-fits, the part should work fine,

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like it's a supersession. The NPD search function doesn't always handle those correctly. For instance, if your ride was built after the supersession occurred and used the new part, the superseded part will show up as a no-fit even though it's the same part. That stuff gets checked through DPC at the dealership, which is a better dbase and accounts for things like that. If Courtesy tagged it as a superseded-but-fits, the part should work fine,
So the 13028-0B700 timing belt should be fine? My 1997 vehicle was technically made 11/1996, that is stamped on the driver door frame. 13028-0B785 is supposed to be the part that replaces 13028-0B700.

Courtesy only comes up with 13028-0B785 part number and says underneath: replaces 13028-0B700. Nissan parts deal is the one I ordered from that has both part numbers on their site. With the 13028-0B700 showing as a fitment for 1997 Pathfinder but not my vin even though its a 1997. Nissan parts deal says only 13028-0B785 fits with 13028-0B700 for Production Date: 10/1995-07/1996

Sorry if I may sound repetitive, just want to make sure I'm explaining correctly. Hate to run into problems when replacing this belt.

Like you said it should be right. Its the same VG33E anyways despite year.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
There are about a dozen supersessions on that particular p/n, it was originally used on seven different VG30/VG33 models across 11 MY's. Pathies and Quests after '95 were built with superseding parts, and yours falls into that range.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are about a dozen supersessions on that particular p/n, it was originally used on seven different VG30/VG33 models across 11 MY's. Pathies and Quests after '95 were built with superseding parts, and yours falls into that range.
Okay, thank you.

Also does the key for the crankshaft have to be changed when timing belt is done?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Only if it's butched up or loose in the slot. They're hardened steel and not very vulnerable to compression or wear. Not that a new one can possibly hurt, but it isn't usually necessary.

·
10,301 Posts
The only time I've replaced a woodruff key is when I dropped it and lost it.. 😕 The timing belt is the correct part. FYI, while there is absolutely nothing with using the genuine Nissan part, I've always used Gates timing belt kits w/ water pump. They come with the timing belt, water pump & gasket, and tensioner pulley. Plus, they have a lifetime warranty on the parts, although I've never had to use it and I've done a lot of them!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts