Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I have a 97 Pathfinder 4x4 v6 with automatic transmission and 175,000 miles. I have a oil leak that I believe it’s a rear main seal leak because the oil primarily drips from between the transmission bell housing and engine.

However, I am skeptical because you can clearly see oil around filter and oil pan in front and back. You also see it by the plastic guard under the vehicle by the sway bar. So I am not really sure where it’s coming from. But the actually dripping of oil is between the transmission and engine.

If I park downslope in my driveway after driving the oil will leak out about 7 drops and then it will stop. If parked upslope only and drop or two would come out. If parked flat I notice some drips by the next day.

I have had the transmission pulled about 4 years ago to replace the planetary gear and had asked them to replace rear main seal. And I do not recall seeing a leak after that. This leak started about two and a half years ago.

I don’t really tap up oil often. It’s been two months and 1300 miles and oil is at correct full level on dipstick.

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,639 Posts
Verify whether the dripping fluid is motor oil or A/T fluid; in either case the tranny needs to be removed for the fix. It would be a sizable expense to just fix a minor drip. If it's not troubling you, IMO, I'd just live with it considering that it's a 23 year old vehicle and it's got 175,000 mi on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Verify whether the dripping fluid is motor oil or A/T fluid; in either case the tranny needs to be removed for the fix. It would be a sizable expense to just fix a minor drip. If it's not troubling you, IMO, I'd just live with it considering that it's a 23 year old vehicle and it's got 175,000 mi on it.
Yeah it is motor oil. No transmission leaks. The weird thing is that it drips here and there when parked flat. And leaks out more when downslope in driveway then stops. But when it leaks out downslope is when I turn off engine. Does not leak when engine on. That’s what I’m stumped on.

I see residual oil elsewhere under there such as around oil pan and the back of the plastic skid guard. That makes me wonder if the oil leak is coming from oil pan and not rear main seal.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,639 Posts
It's possible that a valve cover gasket is leaking and the oil runs down the back of the block. You'll have to jack the car up and wipe the areas clean then watch it over some period of time to see where the oil is coming from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah it is motor oil. No transmission leaks. The weird thing is that it drips here and there when parked flat. And leaks out more when downslope in driveway then stops. But when it leaks out downslope is when I turn off engine. Does not leak when engine on. That’s what I’m stumped on.

I see residual oil elsewhere under there such as around oil pan and the back of the plastic skid guard. That makes me wonder if the oil leak is coming from oil pan and not rear main seal.
Crawl under and check pan bolts 1st...also Cam covers...try simple stuff 1st before you get too deep...just trying to help...

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,709 Posts
A common place for leaks in that area, besides the rear main seal, is the oil pan gasket's rear lip seal. If you part downhill and it stops but it will leak when you park uphill, it's probably the oil pan gasket. If it leaks most when the engine is running on flat ground, that's typically an indication of a rear main seal leak. Valve cover gaskets and oil pressure switches are also common oil leaks on these engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts