Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just bought a 1997 Nissan Maxima GXE. It has a VQ30DE engine in it with automatic transmission. It is in AMAZING shape, well taken care of, and extremely clean. It has 146,000 miles on it and i bought it for $5,100.00. I have a couple questions..

1) How much would it cost to swap out the AT Transmission with a MT?
2) Are there any more powerful engines that I could swap out to make more than 190hp? Like a Silvia or other engine that would fit and make it more powerful? Also how much would one of these engines cost?
3) If I bought a Cold Air Intake or Short Ram Intake how much of a power increase could i expect to see in terms of HP and Torque?
4) Are there any dependable Turbo Kits that would work for my car and what else would i need to make sure i don't blow the engine (EMS, CPU, whatever ANYTHING else id need) ? How much would one run me?
5) Would it be practical to do either one of these considering i bought the car for $5,100.00 ?

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
1,906 Posts
1) DIY it could cost around $500-$1000 depending on cost of parts.
Paying someone to do it will be much more.

2) Best engine swap choice is going to the VQ35DE. If you start talking about Silvias or other cars you'll have to remember if the designated engine is for Rear Wheel Drive...which poses a much larger (and costly) issue.

3) You would see about 1-2whp difference...if that. The difference is in sound, not power. But your mpg might increase if you don't get on it a lot.
*** A MUCH BETTER mod would be getting an aftermarket ypipe. The BEST bang for buck you can buy...cheaper than going s/c, turbo or n2o anyway.

4) You should get onto Maxima.org and check the forced induction forum.

5) $5100 is a little on the high side but it sounds like you got an immaculate car.
149,000 is a little on the higher side to start modding with forced induction but it would work. The VQ series engine lasts a long time when kept up with maintenance. A replacement (used) VQ30 is fairly cheap to come by as well.
*** The real question is, do you plan on keeping the car for a long time? If so then mod away...IMO.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you're thinking about putting a turbo, just know it's going to cost nearly as much as your car. Make sure your internals are strong enough to handle the added boost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts