Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1996 gle maxima for $1050 that needs some fixing up. Went into jiffy lube.. they say the oil pan is very banged up to the point that the oil pan drain plug is pushed in to the oil pan. They were nervous that they might strip the threads on the pan or plug. I got a haynes manual.. they say to use a engine puller to steady the engine and take the y pipe off to get to the pan. Is this so? The pictures in the manual show the pan but not that it goes under the exhaust (y pipe). Do I really need the engine puller? Whats the easest why for a guy with out a garage to do this?

Second issue is while driving I turn a corner or swerve a little and there is a knock that I hear coming from the right front, I suspect a bad ball joint or cv joint. This knock happends each time I turn the wheel from right (knock) than to the left (knock). The steering feels maybe little loose on the right side.

Any comments or ideas are welcome! I just got the car about 3 days ago. It was driven about 30 miles from the place I got it.. other then the bouncing from the bad shocks in the back seems like a good car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was also going to ask about how long I can drive the car with out getting this fixed (maybe cv axle)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was able to change the oil with out any issues, the oil plug gasket is warn and have bought a new plug and gasket.. just going to wait for the next oil change.

I got 4 new tires ($300 firestone), front drivers side wheel bearing and cv axle ($600 pepboys) and the knocking noise in the front right has gone away. Getting the struts in the back replaced today ($110 for 2 struts at autozone + $159 for labor at pepboys). Next is the left tie rod, inner and outer, most likely the control arm too while we are at it. Then I'll work on getting all the wheel bearings replaced and the sunroof fixed, its currently stuck open about half way. Any tips on fixing the sunroof? When I press any of the control buttons for it there is no sound at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh another thing... I tightened the throddle cable to get rid of any slack. This made a big difference! There used to be a kind of thunk that happened when I'd let my foot off the gas peddle.. nice and smooth now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts