Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've been lurking these forums for a little while now and this is my first post. I have a 200SX SE that I'm trying to bring back to life and there are a few problems that I want to fix, but don't know where to start due to my unfamiliarity with the vehicle.

First, I don't know if the blower motor is dead or if it is the switch that needs replaced. The car blows heat (and would probably blow cold air if the A/C was charged), but only when the setting is on full blast, none of the other settings work. I've had people tell me that it's the blower motor and others telling me it is the switch, I don't know who to believe.

Next, the little sun-cover that closes under the moon-roof must be either off track or partly broken. I say this because it has a rattling sound while driving but if I hold it still, no noise. How would I go about checking the track of the moon-roof?

Next, the trunk. There are a couple problems with the trunk. First of all - it leaks. I don't know where it is leaking from or how to check, but I know for sure it leaks. Anyone know an easy way to check for where the leak is? Another thing wrong with the trunk is that switch that is on the side of the driver's seat does not release the trunk latch, I don't know if there is something wrong with the latch, or if there is something wrong with the cable, is there a simple way to know which is broken?. The final thing wrong with the trunk is the lock. The lock on the outside does not work. Anyone know where to go to get a replacement? If I can fix the leak and one of the other two problems, I'll be happy.

There is one MAJOR concern with the car. I feel as if the car doesn't have much power when going up hill. I know the vehicle has 115 hp but it feels more like 90. When I'm going through the WV Turnpike or up any decently sized hill, in 5th gear, the car cannot keep a steady speed, it will constantly lose a mile per hour here and there until I get fed up and downshift. Is this a chronic thing with all 200SX SE's or is my car feeling a little under the weather? I know the car only weighs about 250 lb. heavier than my Miata and has about 5 less hp and a little more torque, so there shouldn't be that much of a noticeable difference in uphill power between the vehicles, but my Miata will cruise and accelerate uphill while the nissan cannot. Any things I should be checking?

My last question deals with the oil pan gasket. How difficult would it be to replace one? I'm mechanically inclined, but not familiar with this vehicle.

Thank you guys/girls in advance for the help with getting this car back to its good ol' days. I'll post pictures of the work in progress next time I head up to my garage to put the Miata away for the winter.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
for the a/c blower issue, it's more likely the blower resistor failed. it controls speeds 1-3 and is "bypassed" when in speed 4.

as for the trunk, you'll need an assistant to water down the trunk area while you go through the back seat into the trunk with a flashlight or lamp to isolate the water leak. then while you're in there, have assistant pull on the release lever and see if the latch moves in the trunk to release lid striker. I'll try to post some pics as to how the release mechanism works on the b14.

as for the oil leak, some people source out an oil pan gasket, but Nissan uses a generous amount of rtv tube gasket. the Nissan one works well compared to other non-OE that i've tried, but i'll leave that to your preference.

if you can download the FSM around here, you should be able to find some tips for the proper bead and size of the rtv.

as for your drive-ability issue, i usually drop a gear when i enter a corner to have it at a useful range by the time i exit. someone else might have a better idea on that......

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
Re: uphill question.
the GA16DE manual has a very high 5th gear, its higher than the 2.0 with 140Hp and more torque.
So it normal to have to shift down on hills in my experience.
the SE-R however i don't shift down much at all.

The mph per 1000 and max speed calc per gear was posted here some time ago. u might be able to find it or look in the owners manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for the a/c blower issue, it's more likely the blower resistor failed. it controls speeds 1-3 and is "bypassed" when in speed 4.

as for the trunk, you'll need an assistant to water down the trunk area while you go through the back seat into the trunk with a flashlight or lamp to isolate the water leak. then while you're in there, have assistant pull on the release lever and see if the latch moves in the trunk to release lid striker. I'll try to post some pics as to how the release mechanism works on the b14.

as for the oil leak, some people source out an oil pan gasket, but Nissan uses a generous amount of rtv tube gasket. the Nissan one works well compared to other non-OE that i've tried, but i'll leave that to your preference.

if you can download the FSM around here, you should be able to find some tips for the proper bead and size of the rtv.

as for your drive-ability issue, i usually drop a gear when i enter a corner to have it at a useful range by the time i exit. someone else might have a better idea on that......
If you could post pictures of the mechanism that would be perfect. When I go back to my garage, in a couple weeks, I'll have a buddy of mine help me find that leak.
When you mentioned the blower resistor, is that a simple fuse type device? I'm looking to get settings 1-3 working again for my heater and need to have an idea of what I could be forced to replace and how to do it. I would also need to know if I can get the part from a local auto store or if I should be looking to order a part.
Also I will have my buddy help me out with the oil pan gasket, so that shouldn't be too much of a concern to me now.

Re: uphill question.
the GA16DE manual has a very high 5th gear, its higher than the 2.0 with 140Hp and more torque.
So it normal to have to shift down on hills in my experience.
the SE-R however i don't shift down much at all.

The mph per 1000 and max speed calc per gear was posted here some time ago. u might be able to find it or look in the owners manual.
I'll search for that calculator, my main concern was that I didn't know if going up a semi-steep hill would cause the 200SX to not be able to accelerate like my Miata does. Since it seems that it is normal to have to shift, I won't worry about it.

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I'm already liking these forums.

I'm still a little confused on what I should do about my heating/AC issues.

and

Can anyone shine a little light on how to check the track for the moon-roof sun-shade?

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Re: heater / blower fan speeds.
Others have reported this as a common problem, the resister assembly goes open circuit and only the high spped works.
If you search you will find more info and part numbers...

·
Registered
4,244 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Re: Your Oil leak.
The number one Oil leak on this engine is the front Crankshaft seal.
Please make sure its not this seal before you pull the Oil Pan off.

There is a sticky at the top of the GA16 section.
The seal is $6.61 at courtesy Nissan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts