Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1995 Pathfinder, with a VG30E engine in it. The temp gauge on the gauge cluster won't come up more than about 1/6th of the way, when the car is fully warmed up.

I have replaced both coolant temp sending units (the one that reports to the ECU and the one that reports to the gauge, only), with Nissan brand units, with no effect.

This circuit is really simple - it's a yellow/red lead, going to a one terminal sensor, which grounds in the thermostat housing. The Y/R lead comes straight from the gauge unit. The line carries 8 volts, tested, and the resistance from the sensor is supposed to cause the gauge to vary. When the lead is connected to the ground, the gauge goes all the way to HOT, like the diagnostic test says it is supposed to do.

I did an additional test, by heating up the sensor, beyond 210 deg F, which only caused the needle to go ~1/5-1/4 of the way up the gauge. As far as I can tell, that's the highest I can get the gauge to go.

Any ideas? Since I've replaced the sensor, it seems like the gauge is the only other thing it could be, considering the simplicity of the system. I'd do this, except Nissan says that the part was needed so infrequently, that the part became obsolete, years ago - meaning: They don't make it anymore, so I won't even be able to order it from a dealership.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks -

Peter

·
3,553 Posts
The gauges are notorious for reading low...some do, some don't. That's about all I know.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've always had the same problem out of mine..The only explanation is that the gauge itself gets high resistance from age and corrosion I guess, thus dropping voltage and making a low reading needle..Annoying I know...

·
Registered
48 Posts
these guages are notorious for reading abnormally low temps as they age. also check your thermostat. like dvdswanson said it could be stuck open.

·
Registered
119 Posts
hmmmm, I have no problem buying a new t-stat, but I was certain that I read on here somewhere that it is a real pita. Can anyone verify this? With that being said, either way I should probably haul it out anyways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts