Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 Nissan SEV6 4X4 pickup
125k'ish miles, Auto trans

I took my truck into Pep Boys on Friday. I had them do their cleaning service which cleans the intake and fuel injectors/rails. I also had my transmission flushed. My truck runs noticeably better, it has much quicker throttle response, and runs smoother in general. My problem now is that it is idling about 500-600 rpms higher then it did prior to the cleaning.

I contacted them the next day and they told me to bring it right in. I drove down there(about 40 minutes away), and they basically told me tough luck :mad:. It was not their fault, and if I wanted it fixed they would have to charge me for a full engine diagnostic. I was less then happy and needless to say I did not let them charge me for whatever they thought I needed.

This puts me into a tough situation. I don't have a lot of spare time to work on my truck. Between work and school, it's tough to find much time for anything else. So I need to know if this is something I can fix quickly. I have not taken the seat out to see what codes the ECU is spitting out yet, I just haven't had the time.

Should I take it in to another shop? Or is this something I can likely do on my own without having to get knee deep into my engine.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
TheEdge; said:
My truck runs noticeably better, it has much quicker throttle response, and runs smoother in general.
Whats the problem again?

Just kidding... What did your truck idle at before the tune up and what is it idling at now. Maybe it's actually idling at the correct rpm now? I would say check the codes whenever you get the time.. That will let you know where to look instead of guessing at what could be wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats the problem again?

Just kidding... What did your truck idle at before the tune up and what is it idling at now. Maybe it's actually idling at the correct rpm now? I would say check the codes whenever you get the time.. That will let you know where to look instead of guessing at what could be wrong.
My Cold/Hot idle used to be around 1300/750 or so, now its about 1900/1200. The limit for my state is 1000 at operating temp, so I have two months to figure it out(tabs expire in Jan), otherwise they will fail me when I go for emissions testing. Not to mention its an auto, so its always wanting to take off with the high idle.

I will try to get the codes early this week. Finding the time is so difficult :confused: Evil under the seat computer. If I had the time I would move it rofl.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I checked my codes, nada code 55.

Any suggestions now? This is beyond frustrating.
Some easy things to check:
Make sure they didn't accidentally tighten your throttle cable (or reroute the cable) when doing your TB cleaning. A little bit of unnoticed tension will easily add 500 rpm when it's supposed to be slacked.

Make sure your IACV is functioning happily. if they cleaned the TB without pulling the IACV, it could be gummed up and stuck in one position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts