Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled off the timing chain cover and noted that many of the teeth on both the intake (VVT) camshaft sprocket and the idler sprocket have broken or worn away. The timing chain has jumped a couple of links, so the valves may be questionable, as well. Called the dealership and found out a replacement sprocket for the camshaft is $490. I'm now looking for a used engine to canabilize or replace my current engine.

What model years of GA16DE engines are compatible with my 1995 200SX for a straight swap or canabilization of the cylinder head? Are there any issues in swapping an engine between an OBD II and a OBD I vehicle? TIA.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
desertred said:
Pulled off the timing chain cover and noted that many of the teeth on both the intake (VVT) camshaft sprocket and the idler sprocket have broken or worn away. The timing chain has jumped a couple of links, so the valves may be questionable, as well. Called the dealership and found out a replacement sprocket for the camshaft is $490. I'm now looking for a used engine to canabilize or replace my current engine.

What model years of GA16DE engines are compatible with my 1995 200SX for a straight swap or canabilization of the cylinder head? Are there any issues in swapping an engine between an OBD II and a OBD I vehicle? TIA.
Stick with a 95/96 federal emissions motor, it will save you time and headaches. I have MANY parts lying around that may be useful to you. If your in need send me a PM as I know I have those sprockets and maybe a few other things.

Also DON'T patronize your local dealer that is clearly trying to work you over. I would contact Mossy Nissan for REAL prices on the parts your looking for. www.mossyperformance.com

FWIW they were probably quoting you for the sprocket and VTC selonoid...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've got a local lead on a used engine with 53K from a '95 Sentra for $600. I would think this would be a direct swap, wouldn't it? Main reason I'm leaning toward replacement is my original engine has approximately 180K miles. Repair will leave me with an aged engine that could need additional repair down the (not too long) road. Of course, a used engine from a junk yard may be an unknown in itself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops! The engine is from a '97 Sentra, not a '95. What type of headaches would I be looking at with this type of swap? Would they be mechanical in nature (fairly easy, but costly), or would I have to deal with ECU issues? I've got a decent mechanical background, but don't like dealing with electrical problems.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
desertred said:
Oops! The engine is from a '97 Sentra, not a '95. What type of headaches would I be looking at with this type of swap? Would they be mechanical in nature (fairly easy, but costly), or would I have to deal with ECU issues? I've got a decent mechanical background, but don't like dealing with electrical problems.
Just check and se if it has a cat on the exhaust manifold if it was included. The other thing to check is to compare the intake manifolds, if they are the same then fine, otherwise you can re-use the IM for your original motor and the exahust manifold from your original motor and be A OK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts