Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

I'm new to the forums here and apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I was recently in a car accident with my wife's 1995 200SX that's being considered a total loss.

The week after Xmas there was some heavy rain here in Southern California. A 2003 Nissan 350Z spun out in front of me from the other lane and I t-boned his passenger door. The 200SX received a lot of damage. The front bumper is pushed under the car, hood bent up, radiator bracket is bent up pretty good. I haven't looked inside the engine compartment yet so I don't know how bad the damage is. Both air bags deployed and the windshield is shattered.

My insurance company is telling me that they are not taking possession of the car and that it is still mine to decide what to do with.

I'm being offered $2850 for the car which seems reasonable. However, I'm wondering if there is any value left in the car as far as parting it out or possibly fixing it myself?

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
part it out, make a few dollars here and there....ur not losing anything. once thats done, just get rid of it(or sell it to a junkyard)

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
$2,800 sound like a good deal No hassels, and no headaches. Parting it out would be a bigger pain in the ass, and wouldnt be very profitable.
Even if you fixed it yourself, you probably couldnt get more then $3,500.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
cHoPs said:
part it out, make a few dollars here and there....ur not losing anything. once thats done, just get rid of it(or sell it to a junkyard)
do you really think he is gonna get $2850 in parting it out?

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
xbrandonx said:
do you really think he is gonna get $2850 in parting it out?

maybe u didnt understand..the insurance company is giving him 2850$ AND letting him keep the car.....he is basically losing nothing....but gaining a lot

·
THINK BLUE
1,014 Posts
Its a '95....take the money and send it off to the junkyard. You are in Southern Cali? Make sure you send it to Ecology in Santa Fe Springs ;):D I have never seen a B14 in that yard!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the best offer I can get so far from salvage yards is $350 for the car. That's kind of sad. What kind of parts are people interested in that would be of any help for me to keep it and part it out?

·
Registered
158 Posts
dermaestro said:
Well, the best offer I can get so far from salvage yards is $350 for the car. That's kind of sad. What kind of parts are people interested in that would be of any help for me to keep it and part it out?
What condition are the wheels in? Are they rims or steelies? There's at least $100 right there. Take out the factory radio, battery, remove what's easy to get to such as some sensors, take out the rear lights if they aren't damaged. People are always looking for different things. Search the classifieds in the forum and go over to SR20 forum and see if there's anything that you have that wasn't damaged that you can possibly sell, and to get a better idea of what you can take off of the car.

·
THINK BLUE
1,014 Posts
Can't you take the $2850 from the insurance, and then get $350 from a junkyard? That would be over 3K, that would be enough for me to say bye-bye to the car.

Look in the classifieds section, in the Want to Buy ads. You can get an idea of what would be of value from your car. If it were me, I would take the ins. money, send it to the yard, but take off some of the parts.

Off the top of my head I would get these parts:

- Interior pieces. Small trim pieces, and the power window switches (if equipped).
- Instrument cluster
- Any sensor or valve that was not damaged. The MAF, IACV, Air temp sensor, etc.
- The ECU

I'd stick to the smaller parts. Nothing too big or heavy that will cost twice as much to ship.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Part of the issue for me is that the car is 50 miles from my home. AAA charges $7 per mile past 7 miles to tow it unless I upgrade another $20 a year.

I can probably make arrangements to tow it myself, but the storage at home and dismantling of the car...I'm beginning to think it's not worth it.

·
THINK BLUE
1,014 Posts
dermaestro said:
It's in Oceanside
Ahh I see. I was gonna offer to store it at my house, but thats too damn far. Yeah sounds like you should not bother parting out....did you call Ecology? I'm pretty sure they have a yard in that area...either way, good luck :cool:

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
if you have acess to a truck get and the rear wheels roll get one of the car dollies and tie up the front end to tow it. You can probably get mroe then 350 for the car with parting it out, and after you are done parting, then sell it to the junkyard.

You probably will be able to get more then just your 350 outta parting it out, expecailly if someone local needs the tranny or motor or something like that (I need a motor but shipping 1500 miles would tear my asshole out)

However like said, interior panels would be good, all electronics, cluster, wheels, any fenders/body panels that are not damanged, seats possibly.

If you decide on it there is a classified section to help you out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wufaded said:
Ahh I see. I was gonna offer to store it at my house, but thats too damn far. Yeah sounds like you should not bother parting out....did you call Ecology? I'm pretty sure they have a yard in that area...either way, good luck :cool:
That's very kind of you and I appreciate the offer. I can store it at my house if I tow it, but there's just too many projects right now.

I'll let you guys know what salvage yard it goes to if you're needing parts.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
aw damn :( i really need a sun visor

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts
dermaestro said:
For a 10 year old car $350 is about right.
One of my dear children wrote off one of my older cars, and I think it was about 9 years old, and it was still driveable. They gave me $300, didn't even look at it !!! They said if I could drive it there then they would take it for $300. This was in Albuquerque about 10 years ago.
when the car has had a lot of parts removed the yard will not give you $350 for it, you may have to pay to have someone take it away!!!
Good Luck....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts