Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm a newbie here, but a second time Altima owner. My current car is a 1994 Altima 5spd and I love it. It runs great, shift smooth, it's a great car. I do however, have a few concerns...

First, my battery connection is very loose and is being held tight with a vice grips tool. Seems to do the job for now, the car does have a sluggish startup though.

Here's where I have some confusion:

- With the headlights on, the clock and radio goes dim.
- With the headlights off, the clock and radio are fine until I step on the brakes-they go dim again. If I gradually push the brake pedal, they stay brightly lit up.
- The gauge cluster works perfectly, however there is no backlight. I looked the fuse box and didn't see a fuse in the driver lights slot...Is a fuse all I need?
- The a/c and heat work great but only on high (level 4). Did a little research and it seems to be a common problem with these cars.

I guess, I'd like to know if the lighting issue is major or just a product of bad battery connection. I would like to fix these myself, without paying for a mechanic if possible. Does anyone have any advice or help for me? Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hello all! I'm a newbie here, but a second time Altima owner. My current car is a 1994 Altima 5spd and I love it. It runs great, shift smooth, it's a great car. I do however, have a few concerns...

First, my battery connection is very loose and is being held tight with a vice grips tool. Seems to do the job for now, the car does have a sluggish startup though.

Here's where I have some confusion:

- With the headlights on, the clock and radio goes dim.
- With the headlights off, the clock and radio are fine until I step on the brakes-they go dim again. If I gradually push the brake pedal, they stay brightly lit up.
- The gauge cluster works perfectly, however there is no backlight. I looked the fuse box and didn't see a fuse in the driver lights slot...Is a fuse all I need?
- The a/c and heat work great but only on high (level 4). Did a little research and it seems to be a common problem with these cars.

I guess, I'd like to know if the lighting issue is major or just a product of bad battery connection. I would like to fix these myself, without paying for a mechanic if possible. Does anyone have any advice or help for me? Thanks for reading.

with headlights on should be normal because it wont be so bright at night.
with headlights off is different. i dont know about that. a/c is gonna be a blower motor resistor under the glove box on the a/c motor. i have it in stock and its $27.50 plus shipping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help with the a/c. How do I get to the part under the glove box, do I need to remove the dash or something? Go in thru the engine bay?

Also, does anyone else have an idea why my car has these issues?

·
Registered
215 Posts
remove you glove box and it should be a 4 pin connector. if you buy my nissan one it may look different but its the right one

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, my gauge cluster is dark, what can be the cause of this and can I fix this myself? Speedo, etc work fine. It just doesn't have any light behind it.

When I turn the key on A/C all lights come on but check engine light. Do I need to look at my fuses or do I need to take my ride to an auto electrician?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts